Ovalau Watersports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ariel

Registered
Reaction score
We're planning a 16 day trip to Fiji and are pretty set on going with Kadavu/Matava Resort for the first half of the trip. For the second half, I've been looking into diving off Ovalau, to get a taste of the Lomaiviti action - I know this is better done by liveaboard, but that will have to wait for future funding. Ovalau Watersports seems to be the land-based dive op here - does anyone have any experience diving with them?

Ovalau Watersports Fiji Islands - Fiji Scuba diving, Padi scuba diving instruction, Dive shop. Levuka, Ovalau, Fiji Islands

thanks - Ariel

No - but I have dived nearby based at Naigani Island resort. They have a small but good dive operation - they only get the odd diver here and there...but the diving is absoultely superb in my opinion. And some of their best dives are only 5 minutes away from the resort (which also has great shore diving...) It's a few years sonce I've been there but I long to go back one day. Probably some of the best diving I've done in Fiji (and I've dived Kadavu half a dozen times from 3 different resort; Raki Raki and Beqa.. Might be worth considering a stay at Naigani - it is a very homely fijian run resort, but quite good quality....I'd be interested if anyone has any up to date reports as opinions seem to vary greatly.

very experienced, small operation. good choice, make sure you dive wakaya and the pipeline... recommend to stay at the levuka homestay.

I had a very enjoyable time there a year ago. It's a funky old town. I stayed in a cottage at the Royal Hotel, very nice. Good dive operator. No big hype here, laid back!

I was there Nov/Dec 2007 and had a great time. It's a small shop and Levuka is as laid back as it gets. Nothing but friendly people. We stayed at the Royal Hotel in the main building in the bigger family room. The place is very old and it shows but it is also very charming and certainly OK for the price. There is a great restaurant across the street from the dive shop.

As others said before, no hype, straight forward and honest. Just email them and they'll sort you out. Noby and Andrea have more than 15 years of experience and their two kids were born and raised in Fiji. Noby will find all the small critters for you and Andrea can take you down to the tuna cannery pipeline for a thrill. Don't miss the fantastic macro stuff right at the pier next to the dive shop like we did. We later ran into Kimi who showed us his pictures and kept raving and now we have to come back. You can order Kimi's book at Nimmerfroh Dive Productions - www.artifishial.com. He spent years diving around Kadavu and Ovalau, among other places in Fiji. I think Noby and Andrea have a reference copy in the shop.

They usually do two dives a day. Departure depends on the tides. Timing is everything and they are good with that. If you go to the Wakaya passage you'll have to sit out the surface interval on the boot. Often a Manta comes up to the boat and you might be able to snorkel with it.

We had our own equipment but the rental stuff seemed OK. A new compressor was delivered while we were there.

Keep in mind that Levuka is not a typical beach destination, but any guidebook will tell you that. I think it's worth going to see another side of Fiji.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom