Overweighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

being over weighted is over rated. Its not a big deal to be a few pounds over. Personally i like to be about 5 pounds over weight just in case i need to use that extra leverage with someone who is having an uncontrolled assent.

Acutally today i was diving here in Maui and i found a 3 pound weight that was dropped from someones boat and i stuck it inbetween myself and my weight belt and dove the rest of dive with it, then like the gentlemen i am i gave it to the boat owner! haha dont want to carry that on the plane back with me!

now if your talking 10 pounds more that might be a hinderance but other than that i would say your fine!

I overweight myself with students in case i need to control an ascent or donate some.

HATE diving more than 3-4lbs overweighted though. Really feel the difference and buoyancy changes on the stops are a pain.

Prodiver_ca:
Switch to steel tank. back plate/wing combo.

This only transfers weight. A BP and steel tanks will definitely reduce the amt of lead you need to carry, but not reduce your total weight.

It's definitely more comfortable to carry the necessary weight in the form of BP and tanks as opposed to lead localized around your waist.

--Matt

Well that was my point since you pointed out it requires 30 -40 lbs in cold water then it is desireable to transfer some of it to your equipment rather than the belt or bc pockets. Most BC's arent designed to handle that much weight without really stuffing the pockets.
I used to wear a seperate belt in addition to my BC integrated weights until I switched to a steel 130. Now in salt water with a polartech undergarment I can comfotably carry 26 lbs in my bc and leave the belt off. sure makes cold water diving a lot easier.

From a person that still sucks air overweight is not as much of a problem if you are trimmed correctly.

Granted there is more resistance with a BC with more a0e than needed, however it is far less than not being horizontal.

i have jumped in with my mask around my neck and reg in my mouth, that was fun trying to untangle

matt_unique:
This only transfers weight. A BP and steel tanks will definitely reduce the amt of lead you need to carry, but not reduce your total weight.

It's definitely more comfortable to carry the necessary weight in the form of BP and tanks as opposed to lead localized around your waist.

--Matt

Actually this is not quite true.

If a diver goes from an al80 which runs about 31.7 pounds empty and 37.7 filled and has buoyancy characteristics of -1.7 lbs full to 4.4 empty, to a steel 80 which weighs 27 lbs empty and 31.5 lbs filled and buoyancy characteristics of -5.5 full and -1 lbs empty then they actually reduce tank weight by 4+ pounds real weight and reduce the need to carry lead on a belt by 5+ lbs.

So a person moving from an al80 to a steel 80 will see an overall reduction in weight carried on them, whether equipment or belt, of between 8 and 10 pounds.

Back
Top Bottom