OW Checkout Dives Tips (5C/42F)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The point is that by using ankle weights, you never learn the proper skills and pick up bad habits.
moot point IMO. Its like training wheels on a bike. An OW student on his first dives will know almost no technique or skills. Having it so they can focus on other things and not floaty feet will be better than them trying to do skills and think about keeping trim. Maybe after a few dives start adjusting the setup without the ankle weights.

I will be diving in around 5-6C/42F water. I will be using a trilam drysuit with 165g base layer (merino wool), 250g mid layer (merino wool), 100g thinsulate layer (typhoon jumpsuit). Looking for all advice/tips for a nervy but excited diver. Most worried about flailing about in my drysui
Assuming it's a lake dive (close to Heathrow?)... It is pretty chilly there but your dive times will be fairly short so you won't get very cold in that time -- and even if you did, you can "thumb" the dive if you're too cold.

Your instructors will give you guidance regarding the undersuit. The more you wear, the thicker the insulation, the more weight you'd need to counteract it and it gets harder to move around.

The big trick is to not get cold before the dive; change quickly and maybe wear the undervest before getting changed--but bring a change of underclothes just in case the suit leaks!

Generally speaking, once you're dressed in your drysuit, you'll be pretty warm around a lake/quarry as there's not much wind.

You will learn so much in your first few dives.

Have fun! You're supposed to be enjoying it!

moot point IMO. Its like training wheels on a bike. An OW student on his first dives will know almost no technique or skills. Having it so they can focus on other things and not floaty feet will be better than them trying to do skills and think about keeping trim. Maybe after a few dives start adjusting the setup without the ankle weights.
There speaks the voice of experience 59-99 dives.

A habit taught in training can take years to change. I know instructors who still wear ankle weighs because that was what they were taught in they’re basic training. The same as kneeling on the bottom to clear a mask.

By the end of dive 2 I have students horizontal and in trim. It’s just as easy to teach good skills as bad ones.

Such as learning proper buoyancy and trim which are #1 skills. Getting a feeling for how much gas you keep in your drysuit.

Ankle weights make things like using drysuit for buoyancy possible - that's probably one of the worst habits a new diver could pick up.

Floaty feet is a skill problem - what other skills should divers focus on on their first dives? Four 20 minutes and 1 second long dives to smash through skills on their knees to get through the course and still not know how to dive at the end?

It's better to get used to diving drysuit early on. Better float to the surface from 5 meters than from 18...

Assuming it's a lake dive (close to Heathrow?)...
Have fun! You're supposed to be enjoying it!
... and remember - every other dive site will be way nicer than that place :rofl3:

Hi,

I've discussed this before on here, but I now have my first checkout dive scheduled in the next 2 weeks.

I will be diving in around 5-6C/42F water. I will be using a trilam drysuit with 165g base layer (merino wool), 250g mid layer (merino wool), 100g thinsulate layer (typhoon jumpsuit). Looking for all advice/tips for a nervy but excited diver. Most worried about flailing about in my drysuit.
If you keep the dive under 40 min then you won't be cold. If you struggle to keep the drysuit under control at first then who cares? Part of becoming good at something requires being bad at it to start.

During one of my first dives in a drysuit I made an unplanned feet-first ascent. When I broke the surface I could hear my friend who was standing on shore yelling, "THAR SHE BLOWS!!!"

We had a good laugh about it and I tried again. 30 years on, I can control my buoyancy to within centimeters. The point is, give yourself a break!

Train hard... fight easy. Use all the layers (Being from Norway, regularly diving in sub 5C, there is absolutely no such thing as too warm).
Also... A lot easier taking of clothes to cool down, than dressing up and WARMING up if too cold after the first dive!
Learning your skills in the equipment and exposure protection you most likely will be using will be beneficial for when you are supposed to do your dives independently.

Also... Make sure you eat enough! Proper calorie rich breakfast. Maybe a warm meal in between dives. Hot chocolate ( you know the one gran made with whole milk, lots of sugar and chocolate) between dives.

Bring a thermos of warm water to heat the hood/wetgloves.

Remember a wool beanie, wool gloves and a wool neckliner and a good overcoat to use between dives.

Oh... and ABSOLUTELY NO cotton....

And remember to eat enough.... did I mention FOOD?

There speaks the voice of experience 59-99 dives.

A habit taught in training can take years to change. I know instructors who still wear ankle weighs because that was what they were taught in they’re basic training. The same as kneeling on the bottom to clear a mask.

By the end of dive 2 I have students horizontal and in trim. It’s just as easy to teach good skills as bad ones.
I didnt say that I'm better than everyone else when diving, so idk why how many dives I have matters because I know many divers who have way more dives and cards who should only be in a pool(you know one or two I'm sure)

All I said is if you want to use ankle weights starting out go for it. To me lead placement to keep trim is not the same as kneeling to clear a mask. To many blowhard instructors and DIR guys who know the best way to dive is their way.

What's the difference between a set of heavy fins or lighter fins and ankle weights?

What's the difference between a set of heavy fins or lighter fins and ankle weights?
ankle weights can (and many times do) fall off

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom