OW course and regulator failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petIQe

I think you are worrying yourself about nothing. I am an equipment technicial maint guy. and frequently have to attend schools for maintenance. Most schools have a common format. intro power and then how it technically operates section by section, followed by labs to trouble shoot and repair inserted faults. When it comes to regulators the First stages are iron horse's. they work in one of a couple of ways that have been tried and proven. For my schools our trouble shooting is based on field input to determine the most common failures. Normally 99% of all failures are comprised of a small group of problems. Those areas are trained heaviest for. The same goes for diving classes. As you reg goes,, like said by many,, it is an iron horse so long as it is maintained and used as designed. The first stage either works or it doesnt. You determine that when you do a predive checkout. most freeflowing comes from the secondary when hitting the water. That is covered by predive setup. So at this point if you have a reg problem it is not a no air problem but a too much air problem which corrects it self by venting out the exhaust ports. In the very rare event you have no air you have a buddy and cesa as a backup. So as training goes all is covered. Is it possible that an airline could fall from the sky , knock you reg out of your mouth and pinning it so you cant get it or your backup. Maybe... but the reg will not be the problem. Secondary freeflows are very common and mostly to newer divers. Likewise they are quiclky adjusted and become a no problem with just a turn of a knob.

While a regulator is meant to freeflow when it fails and will freeflow 99% of the time, they might not always freeflow when they fail. It's a possability but from what I've read around, it seems like only one in a million have ever seen it happen.

They can give low air flows in the primary. Had a new Oceanic CDX-5 and it would slightly free flow the Occy on the surface but not when under water, but the deeper I went the less air it provided. After getting it serviced, it was found to have swarf (machining material when built) inside making the mechanism stick thus only provide a small amount of air.

KWS,
I'm not worried at all.

It's more of a theoretical question about diver training... And I'm also an equipment technicial maint guy. :wink:

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

I don't know why ALL agencies don't require secondaries on a necklace. It's by far the safest, most convenient method. None of this yellow octopus in random places crap.

Require? Just how is that enforced? I've always been of the mind that attaching another 2nd stage to the same potential failure point (1st stage) is silly. I use a pony bottle instead of a octo. It doesn't dangle and the second stage is always in the same place and it is an independent source of air, IMO a real safety feature.

For the record in 44 years and >2000 dives I've encountered 2 reg failures one while diving with a borrowed double hose and another on land when setting my gear up. My diving environment is usually cold water ocean.

IMO this issue is the least of the problems involving present day dive training.

Given that ... you should know the answer and not need to ask.

KWS,
I'm not worried at all.

It's more of a theoretical question about diver training... And I'm also an equipment technicial maint guy. :wink:

Az én iPhone készülékemről küldve a Tapatalk segítségével

Just to make it clear, I asked this:
Why do they teach at PADI OW courses that when a regulator fails, it will ALWAYS FREE-FLOW? Or it was just that one instructor I heard saying this?

Why do they teach at PADI OW courses that when a regulator fails, it will ALWAYS FREE-FLOW? Or it was just that one instructor I heard saying this?

Oh I understand, you came to the wrong place. Try contacting PADI and asking them. Glad to help.

How many instructors were teaching your class? From my limited knowledge, PADI provides training material and standards to be met for the OW class, it does not tell the instructor what to say.

For the most part, the new diver will probably encounter a free flow for one reason or another and should be able to deal with the issue. It is not the only way a regulator can fail, however, it is the most likely since most second stages are downstream and a high intermediate pressure is usually the culprit.

The most likely failure that involves the regulator not giving gas is the new diver not checking his SPG often enough, usually from being in deeper water than training. It's one thing to do a math problem with Boyle's law, it's another to watch what it can do to a tank while diving.

Bob
-------------------------------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

It wasn't my class. I just overheard an instructor saying this to his students at a place where I went to dive.

In over 50 years of diving The only times I've had a regulator fail to deliver air were

1. When the dip tube in my tank clogged with a tiny piece of debris (NOT the regulator's fault)

2. When I ran out of air intentionally while filming in very shallow water (again NOT the regulator's fault).

I have only had two regulator failures in all those years and both times they failed delivering LOTS of air. First one was at 100 ft off Chumphon Pinnacle in Thailand. It was poorly serviced rental gear. Second time was right here at home and it was due to my poor maintenance (fresh water is scarce here so rinsing is only occasion) and failure to maintain it properly.

Not saying a reg can't fail in such a way that it does not deliver air, but it has a very low probability. Nonetheless, one should be prepared to address that possibility just like any other situation where air delivery is stopped.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom