OW gear in a chlorine pool ?

Do you put your OW gear in a chlorine pool ?

• Yes

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 18 28.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

he biggest problem I've found with the pool is the colour change brought on by the chlorine. I use a swimmers shampoo on me, my wetsuit and the BCD. It's designed to break chlorine bonds but it's also mild enough to use on your skin so it has little effect, if any, on my gear. It's stopped the discolouration at least.

You can get some variety of this type of shampoo off the shelf at most pharmacy's. Costs a bit more than normal shampoos but then again new gear costs more :)

After getting a stomach bug during OWC in Playa Del Carmen, I believe there is a serious threat to safety if the conditions were similar to my experience. the confined water training was done in a pool without chlorination. if I had gotten sick from the water, the equipment would be contaminated as well. without chrolinated water to rinse the equipment to sanitize it, the equipment is then dunked into a fresh water container 3'x3'x3' and the water might not be changed daily...it was certainly not how others described as rinsing the equipment with fresh water after training in chlorinated pool. in food service sanitation, the dinnerware has to be washed, dunked in water with sanitizer added, and then fresh water rinse. I presume safe confined water training would at least required pool to be chlorinated (or other sanitizer), and the pool water will actually help sanitize the equipment until the equipment is rinsed off with fresh water (not dunked).

My OW gear gets worn every week in a chlorine pool for training purposes however after a dive i just hose it down with fresh water in a bath and let it soak. Occasionally i put dilute milton fluid in as well to help kill off bacteria.

Had no problems with this method.

If possible I would avioid using your gear in a chorinated pool. Most of the gear I have seen used in pools gets discolored over time. The dive club I belong to has two sets of gear, 1 for pool use and 1 for rentals. I have used my own personal gear in pools a few times and did not have a problem with discoloration but I rinse my gear well and soak for at least several hours if not overnight afterwards.

String:
Occasionally i put dilute milton fluid in as well to help kill off bacteria.

What is Milton Fluid?

My gear doesn't dry out to often. Its not uncommon to go from saltwater to pool to saltwater again.. sometimes I get some fresh water dives to rinse things off.. :D 52 dives on my current BC and not not even fade. :)

TWarnock:
Do you put your gear in a pool ? If not, why not ? If you do, what is the proper way to clean it when you take it out ?
every time when i take students in the pool i do take the gear too,better than saltwater,i do rinse my gear multiple times after use,i,m pretty anal about my stuff,expens :wink: :wink: ive enough,right?

Milton fluid is a mild disinfectant/anti-bacterial used for washing babies bottles and such.

James Goddard:
Not really needed for pool water but after a salt water dive it's the only way to be sure all the salt has disolved.

James

Be careful, some of the new non-chlorine pool systems are salt based, other are bromine based. If its not a salt based system then it is a chemical which is still not good for your gear.

it cleans my gear as well, helps remove some residue from the sea. a good rinse with tap water does it well for me.

Back
Top Bottom