Ow in bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we teach private OW classes, all our students are in backplate setups with primary donate.

There is a LOT of nonsense in scuba shops, though. You do need to check with the shop or instructor where you intend to do your OW, and make sure they/he are OK with your gear. You may get resistance. You may be told they want all the students in the same gear (theirs) or that you have to get your gear "serviced" before they will approve its use. They may balk outright, being unfamiliar with the equipment and resistant to doing something different. Shops vary in their flexibility and willingness to meet the customer's requests.

RJP, if someone showed up for one of your OW classes with an aqualung axiom or scubapro classic you'd be fine with that?

I'm not even sure what would prompt your question, to be honest.

If a student has their own gear, why wouldn't we let them use it? Why would we ask them to learn to dive in gear they'll never use again instead of letting them learn to dive in their own gear?

What he had better do is to walk away--who needs that kind of "instruction".

Yes, as I attempted to write in my first paragraph. Don´t use the LDS or whathaveyou if they don´t approve of BP/W. The latter paragraph was directed at the ones already in the course. You deal with problems before the dive. When you´re diving, DM is the chief. If that means that everybody in the water uses the same gear, you´ll either have to work with that, or stay on dry land, ergo walk away.

Not always easy to present my point, especially the night before an exam, and English isn´t my first language.

...//...There is a LOT of nonsense in scuba shops, though. ...//...

And, collectively, they do not hold the "high ground" on a legal, moral, ethical, or even humanitarian basis. You are contracting another entity to train you to enter a foreign environment. It can be done safely, but you (as the diver) need to be informed, selective, and willing to do most of the "heavy lifting". If this doesn't sound right to you, get your adventure on hulu.

So if someone tells you no, you can not use a BP/W on this course, you better listen. No need to explain why. Those are the terms, deal with it, or stay on dry land with your BP/W.

Since you mention above that English is not your first language I'm going to assume that what you've posted above means something entirely different in Norwegian. Something closer to "Tid for å snu og gå ut av det."

I'm not even sure what would prompt your question, to be honest.

If a student has their own gear, why wouldn't we let them use it? Why would we ask them to learn to dive in gear they'll never use again instead of letting them learn to dive in their own gear?

I was curious based on your comment about using a particular BP/W for all your students. Please excuse me if I've offended you, that was not my intention.

I was curious based on your comment about using a particular BP/W for all your students. Please excuse me if I've offended you, that was not my intention.

No, not offended at all. Literally just didn't understand if there was a particular reason you asked the question. Shop uses Halcyon gear for students because it's a Halcyon dealer... in addition to DiveRite, Hollis, Sherwood, ScubaPro, Mares, and others.

It´s not a conflict with any of your opinions, I agree, find someone else. If you´re staying on dry land, while others dive, is it not implied that you have already walked out of it? My statements were implied that you stayed on with the course, and thus sub-consequently agreeing to the terms. At that point, you should do as you are told.

Maybe it´s just me ranting. Been taking some friends out ice-diving, they are all OWD, and still have some crazy idea that they can do as they see fit, even though it was not planned before we got out. I´m not saying that the dive leader is some God, but they have at most a fifth as many dives as me combined, and last time I checked, PADI OWD does not cover the same as Navy Diver School. That is what I am getting at. BP/W is fine and all, but respect the DM and what he decides. Either respect him by saying that you´re going to find somewhere else to take your course because you fail to agree, or by agreeing to all of his/hers terms.

There is a LOT of nonsense in scuba shops, though. You do need to check with the shop or instructor where you intend to do your OW, and make sure they/he are OK with your gear. You may get resistance. You may be told they want all the students in the same gear (theirs) or that you have to get your gear "serviced" before they will approve its use. They may balk outright, being unfamiliar with the equipment and resistant to doing something different. Shops vary in their flexibility and willingness to meet the customer's requests.
If a student wants to use their own equipment, we will allow it, but it must be at a minimum inspected to make sure it is safe. We do not charge anything to check it out. We have had people try to bring in equipment in horrid, unsafe condition for classes; like have not been serviced in so long that everything is corroded & dry rotted. It is basically very old equipment that was handed down & not taken care of.If unsafe, to be used, it must be serviced enough to make it safe. When/ if safe, it may be used.

If a student want to use a BP/W or any other personal equipment (as long as it is in safe operating condition), there's no problem. with that

Reactions: RJP
...//... Either respect him by saying that you´re going to find somewhere else to take your course because you fail to agree, or by agreeing to all of his/hers terms.

There is a fine point here that concerns me. Your statement is fine for someone working towards a passport dive. Ownership of the dive is with the DM. Enjoy the day!

However, the intent of OW is to train you dive *unsupervised* in conditions similar to those in which you trained. Ownership of the dive is with the diver. Own the day.

In OW, you don't just blindly agree to all of his/her terms, you discuss them against your goals of becoming a 'competent' diver. -sorry, my "blind faith" alarm went off while reading this thread...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom