Owner of dive charter Goby charged with several counts of poaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and by the way! Here is a real poacher:

Malibu Resident Catches Tuna With Bare Hands - Malibu Times: People

Did she have a fishing license to catch this?

Unless she sold it to restaurants, I'm not certain how that's relevant. At all.

You're right that DFG landed hard on Adam, but that's partly because illegal commercialization of game is something that DFG really goes after, and partly because it's going to get their attention when someone is identified in a newspaper as a "spearfsiherman" supplying local restaurants- that's going to raise some flags, and names are going to be run to see what licenses that guy possesses.

A few points here, cuz I've been following this revenant train-wreck of a thread:

First, the DFG links posted aren't "articles"- they're press releases. The information they contain is not representative of research or opinion, but is a factual statement by a state agency of events and information relevant to that agency's area of concern. I doubt anyone can or will argue that Adam wasn't cited and charged (regardless of whether they want to debate about whether he should have been charged or was guilty), or that he did not plead "no contest" to four of the charges.

Second, I think that I recall from pulling the docket (but none of the pleadings) on Adam's case, it looks like he actually did have a commercial license, but didn't have all the required species stamps, and might have been applying recreational (spearfishing) rules to commercial take. That supposition seems to be supported by the article posted by MaxBottomtime identifying Adam as a local spearfisherman selling spear-caught fish to a Santa Monica seafood restaurant, and that, as I recall, he wasn't cited for not having a commercial fishing license (it's been 9 months since I cared enough to look at the case and only thought of it again once I saw Adam had entered his plea, and once i got called out again in the thread). At least taking the step of getting a commercial license would, in my mind, indicate a level of attempting to comply with the law, but your mileage may vary there. Applying recreational spear regs to commercial take is a huge no-no, and he should have known better - and the law expects him to know better.

I could see the average guy getting confused by the regs, and by the requirements of what licenses he would need to fish commercially (and sell his fish commercially, since that's not an intuitive law), but, like I said ~8 months ago, a person should probably double and triple check (and get something in writing) before they undertake something that has the potential to seriously and negatively effect their livelihood, and there are people who can help them to do that- he runs his own risk if he decides not to seek out those resources. I also suspect holders of commercial fishing licenses are held to different and higher standards when a violation is found.

Adam's consequences were a nolo plea, being on probation for 3 years and being unable to have a personal or commercial fishing license during that time, which means he can't do spear or lobster charters- for a guy who sold $50 lobster hunting spots, coupled with the $10,000 fine and attorneys' fees, that's going to hurt. A lot.

I don't think he's on-par with repeat offenders, or guys who get pulled over with 55 abalone in their van on the way to San Francisco. He seems to me like a guy trying to make his living on and under the water who made some bad, and very dumb, choices. I don't think that excuses breaking rules, and, in fact I think the punishment is about right (and maybe even a little heavy compared to what this jagoff got). I think Adam's actions merit criticism, but I don't think what Adam did merits lifelong condemnation.

I also don't know why it's all that controversial that Adam is being punished. Even he admits that he made mistakes (though he blames other people for them). We can have a debate about whether spearfishing should be a legal method of small-scale commercial take, and we could have a discussion about whether there was bad intent underlying whatever actions were taken, but the bottom line is that rules were broken that should not have been broken, and that merits consequences of some kind. He may be an otherwise "good guy," but he has to take his medicine just like the rest of us would in his place.

Personally, I hope he gets through it, learns from whatever mistakes he made, and conducts himself better than he did before, and that going forward he demonstrates himself to be a conservation-minded and law-abiding person.

Also, H2Ocean, it was good to talk to you the other day. And pro-tip re your original post: slander is spoken, libel is written ;-)

I agree with you 100% in following the rules but I think the DFG made this sound like a major poaching bust when it was indeed "small potatoes"... They can do better if they hang out at Pt. Dume over the weekend and pick up the numerous fishermen with poles next to the "no fishing signs" and warnings that it is an MPA. Oh and they fish next to lifeguards that warn them about it. Like all other government agencies they need to show that they are doing something when they are understaffed and underfunded and this was made to sound like a big victory when in fact the fine is not enough even to cover the monthly salary of a couple DFG agents. And of course everybody run to crucify the violator...
Because DFG is understaffed they have Cal Tip. I have talked to a few wardens who told me that the best thing to do is to take pictures of the violators as well as their CF numbers if they are using a boat. This helps convict repeat offenders.

[h=1]Cal-TIP
Californians Turn in Poachers and Polluters
1 888 DFG-CALTIP(888 334-2258)[/h]

If you would like to know more
about the CalTIP Inc. and the
"CalTIP Foundation"
click on the image above.
k9.gif

How can you help
Cal-TIP support DFG's K-9
program? Read how here.
caltipcover.jpg

caltip_newcell_logo.jpg
A Confidential Secret Witness Program
CalTIP (Californians Turn In Poachers and Polluters) is a confidential secret witness program that encourages the public to provide Fish and Wildlife with factual information leading to the arrest of poachers and polluters.
CalTIP was introduced in California in 1981 in order to give Californians an opportunity to help protect the state's fish and wildlife resources. The toll free telephone number operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You do not have to give your name.
Poaching
Poaching is the illegal taking of fish and wildlife. It can involve hunting out of season, the taking of more fish or game animals than the law allows, and the illegal commercialization of species including abalone, sturgeon, bears, reptiles and many others. Equally devastating crimes include pollution and habitat destruction and the insidious practice of transporting and introducing non-native, undesirable fish(like northern pike and white bass) into California's lakes and rivers.
Although deer are a frequently poached animal, virtually all other species of California wildlife are also subject to illegal activity including bear, elk, antelope, marine fish, crustaceans, abalone and other mollusks, inland fish, raptors, and reptiles.
Poachers devastate nature by breaking laws designed to assure proper wildlife management and species survival. Poaching is an insult to the vast majority of hunters and anglers who obey the rules.
Because poaching is a crime of secrecy and stealth, its full impact in California is impossible to fully gauge. However, enough poaching is documented to realize that it exacts a very heavy toll.
State Department of Fish and Wildlife officers do all they can to combat poaching. But there are only a few hundred wardens spread throughout California. To successfully fight poaching they must have help from all Californians.

Pollution

As the population of California swells, the effects of pollution are felt more profoundly than ever.
Incidents of industrial and agricultural pollution as well as the dumping of household waste can be devastating to our fish and wildlife and the habitat on which they depend.
To combat polluting, concerned citizens who become aware of such acts can become involved and report their observations.
To Report a Poacher or Polluter
If you witness a poaching or polluting incident or any fish and wildlife violation, or have information about such a violation, immediately dial the toll free CalTIP number
1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Be prepared to give the fullest possible account of the incident including the name, address, age and description of the suspect, vehicle description, direction of travel, license number, type of violation and when and where it occurred. You do not have to give your name.
Information from the call is relayed to the Fish and Wildlife region where the offense occurred and an investigation is undertaken locally. If the information supplied by the caller results in an arrest the caller becomes eligible for a reward. (Rewards up to $1,000 have been paid.) The case is then reviewed by a volunteer citizen's group known as the "Caltip Foundation".
CalTIP rewards come entirely from donations, no state funds are used. The CalTIP Foundation, not the Department of Fish and Wildlife, receives and administers these funds. Money not used for the payment of rewards goes toward furthering CalTIP's educational goals (public service announcements, informational videos, billboard campaigns,
How to Help
Observe and Call
When you see or become aware of a poaching or polluting violation, call us.

Contact
If you would like to report a violation in progress or a report an ongoing violation please call the CalTIP line. 1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

If you want to find out more about the CalTIP program or have questions about how the CalTIP program works, please e-mail Lt. Mike Milotz

You guys crack me up...I was of course kidding about the Tuna caught in Malibu. I am laughing how quickly everyone run to check the regulations...but do you think that this lady stopped to ask? She just grabbed it and it was not clean up because it was alive an kicking. But it is Tuna, great food, makes a great story and she did not try to sell yet! I think she is poacher LOL and I am going to call CalTip ;-)

You guys crack me up...I was of course kidding about the Tuna caught in Malibu. I am laughing how quickly everyone run to check the regulations...but do you think that this lady stopped to ask? She just grabbed it and it was not clean up because it was alive an kicking. But it is Tuna, great food, makes a great story and she did not try to sell yet! I think she is poacher LOL and I am going to call CalTip ;-)

License or not, if anybody can catch a live tuna by hand then he/she should be able to keep it.

Interesting question. Do you need a fishing license if you pick up a fish off the beach? At what point does it go from fishing to beach cleanup? You do need a fishing license for the grunion runs (last ones for 2014 are this month). You don't need a hunting license to pick up road kill, so ...

My curiosity was piqued, so I checked. You don't need a hunting license to pick up road kill in California, but it is illegal to pick up roadkill wildlife in California. No one may possess wildlife in any form unless the animal was legally taken by a licensed hunter during the hunting season for that species and while using approved harvest methods, and motor vehicles are not included in any list of legal methods of take. So I guess picking up a tuna off the beach is also illegal, since grabbing it by its tale is probably not listed as a legal hunting method

The state is far from perfect in enforcing the rules, too. The other year a whale washed up on our local beach. The state, county and local authorities all said "not our problem" so a few homeowners eventually got together and had it towed out to sea when the smell became unbearable. Nobody complained or was cited

Not only are they a crack up dystis-sm and they continue to embarrass me to be even a part of Scubaboard's So Cal forums, I'm on the fence of deleting my account here (which occurred to me that "that could very well be the intention" here,) then Do not try to sensationalize a minor case to support anti-hunting agendas...statement reigns in. Still has been missed Mr. James comments here that CFW gave in exchange for a need to comply THE WRONG LICENSING!! Right over these guys' head!! Totally funny. Hey, to prove my point, to any hardcore conservation minded individuals, ones that would not ever consider taking of a natural fish life but instead would opt for the farm raised in crate animal for food...listen up, CFW this year illegally sold to me after January 2014 a 2013 lobster card...I'd already turned in the report card for 2013.. Jerry Brown has been notified he's liable not only for my return of 8 dollars, but he sold out of season a license for his benefit. Explain that, Jerry will not return my calls. That by no means entitles me to any illegal fishing, but they are not only understaffed but incompetent to run the Department of Fish and Wildlife at the level of licensing PERIOD. Also to the guy that claimed he is owed a trip, the trip was offered and he simply declined. I love the way the conservationist are so concerned with marine-life...yet they will run a boat that dissolves toxic gas to and from what they believe is a harmless trip, over and over and over...the same ones I've taken from a shore dive trip in a very delicate ecosystem reef locally, a picture of the damage their anchor is doing to sensitive marine-life, yet they claim such excellent stewardship in preserving the very thing they harm and kill. And those very ones are the loudest in this So Cal Forum site...There were specific words that Mr. James used, I know the lawyer guy got it, but still disregards it's powerful message, one looked for in the courts, myself I wouldn't of been able to produce them. Mr. James did. If you're going to claim fault on others make sure you're pretty cleanly perfect. I always heard it like until your back yard is perfect, keep your comments especially when they boast how perfectly conservative one might think they are, to yourselves. Because you look not very becoming on a monster site created to be a tool to use for our benefit...politely. Rediculousness.

Did you get one of the "whole season" lobster cards, and not an annual lobster report card? That'd explain the 2013 date after January 1.

Not only are they a crack up dystis-sm and they continue to embarrass me to be even a part of Scubaboard's So Cal forums, I'm on the fence of deleting my account here (which occurred to me that "that could very well be the intention" here,)

I don't know anything about your case, and frankly, I don't particularly care.

However, this is a free forum. If you don't feel like you want to be here, then don't be. Hell, you don't even have to "delete your account". Just leave and never post again and it'd be like the same thing. As far as your claiming maybe the smearing campaign's intention is for you to not posting on SoCal board or Scubaboard.com...please put away your tin foil hat. You ain't that important to the Government for them to conspire to get you off Scubaboard. Seriously.

"commercial take of lobster without a permit, commercial take of sea urchin without a permit, illegal take of nearshore fish without a permit, failure to complete and submit records of fish taken under a commercial license, the illegal take of several varieties of fish during the closed commercial season and several other serious charges.
During their investigation CDFW wildlife officers received information from the CalTIP hotline that James was attempting to sell commercially caught fish to restaurants without a Receiver’s License"

I don't understand how anyone could view these charges as a minor case or small potatoes. Even though he plead down to four counts and was fined $10,000 plus the loss of his fishing license for three years it is still more than failure to obey a posted sign. I know Adam James is your friend and you feel the need to stick up for him, but that doesn't make him any less of a poacher.
As far as being a conservationist, we all leave our carbon footprints wherever we go. If you make a shore dive, did you drive there? Did you use a compressor to fill your tank? I try to minimize my impact while diving. I use my windless to slowly feed out my anchor. It doesn't freefall to the bottom. I always try to anchor in the sand close to reefs or wrecks. Unless you're living off the grid you make an impact. Of course, if you were off the grid you wouldn't be posting on the internet.

My curiosity was piqued, so I checked. You don't need a hunting license to pick up road kill in California, but it is illegal to pick up roadkill wildlife in California. No one may possess wildlife in any form unless the animal was legally taken by a licensed hunter during the hunting season for that species and while using approved harvest methods, and motor vehicles are not included in any list of legal methods of take. So I guess picking up a tuna off the beach is also illegal, since grabbing it by its tale is probably not listed as a legal hunting method

The state is far from perfect in enforcing the rules, too. The other year a whale washed up on our local beach. The state, county and local authorities all said "not our problem" so a few homeowners eventually got together and had it towed out to sea when the smell became unbearable. Nobody complained or was cited

You see! I told you that if you look closely this woman was "poaching." Also this was not roadkill but a live tuna caught on a shallow area with an "illegal method" . But as a society we pick and choose how to present the news... She was a brave woman that caught a tuna! That is what we wanted to read and believe.

I think that she should get a $5000 fine (a reduced fine since she did not try to sell it) and DFG should confiscate the tuna! LOL

Back
Top Bottom