Oxycheq 18lb elbow seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Oxycheq 18lbs wing developed a major leak from under the inflator hose elbow after the recent trip. I am having issues unscrewing the elbow to check if it’s the seal or the elbow itself require replacement - despite my best efforts the ring won’t budge. Silly question is which is the right way to unscrew it? Some comments indicate it’s reverse threaded or does it require a bc tool? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2682.jpeg
    IMG_2682.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 37
Silly question is which is the right way to unscrew it? Some comments indicate it’s reverse threaded or does it require a bc tool?
AFAIK it's not reverse threaded. Pour it with hot water then try to unscrew in ordinary direction - counter-clockwise as on photo. You can use large pliers and some used clothes winded around plastic nut for protection. Apply no excessive force. If plers and hot water don't help solve problem - it's better to find a bc tool.

On my Oxy Vertex doubles wing, the elbow and OPV ports are "assembled" not welded-style.
185-004__17211.1482177399.1280.1280.jpg

I'm thinking it is possible that tension and salt-buildup have the outer-ring on the elbow "stuck" to the outer flange on the wing.

@Snusmumrik 's idea of a warm water soak then enhance leverage is probably right-on. If yours is also assembled-style, it is possible that the bladder-side assembly may unscrew when you are trying unless you apply counter-torque to the elbow itself.

You are local and I do have a BC-bladder tool if you need it.

For about $35 total, NorthEast Scuba Supply (near me outside Norristown) has the Bladder Flange & OPV Assembly, Elbow Assembly, and BC-flange tool.

I just removed mine and it is definitely NOT reverse threaded. I second the idea of soaking it in hot water and I have used slip lock pliers in the past when I went too long between servicing it. The pliers help grab it since the elbow inhibits doing it with your hand. Don’t smash down hard though.

Oxycheq sells new elbow assemblies directly but Northeast Scuba Supply rocks and I heartily endorse them also.

Managed to unscrew the inflator hose after all. Looked around, looks like bladder/ casing gasket maybe worn, photos attached.
IMG_2686.jpeg

The deep grooves are from the the threaded cover being cranked down so tight. Unless it is leaking, it will be okay. There is very little pressure differential between the inside and outside of the wing. If you are concerned, get a replacement when you visit Northeast Scuba. It will set you back a couple of bucks.

The elbow is leaking air from where corrugated hose inserted into the elbow assembly when screwed in - even a single breath comes right out. So not sure it’s the seal or the elbow itself needs replacement. Most likely both.

The 12 sided base of the elbow (Plain Elbow Kit) has to align and seat into the part that fits in the wing. This is what all of my Oxycheq elbows look like but yours seems to be different. If I were you, I would take it in and have them look it over.

There is nothing worn, the elbow ring has been overtightened onto the wing fitting and you have unscrewed it

Now press the round thing with the two circular sealing ridges onto the rubber sole of a shoe and unscrew that

Back
Top Bottom