Oxycheq 18lb elbow seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like the outer section of the bladder-flange came off with the elbow\gasket\elbow-nut.

The stuff in your hand is going to either have to come apart, or you are going to have to replace all of the outer parts (at least,excluding the corrugated hose). You will need a bladder flang too to reassemble.

I expected to see something like Plain elbow set but my ring and gasket are a single unit - like happy diver suggested. I just need to see how to take it apart now. Suppose I need a new double bc gasket also?
IMG_2689.jpeg

What you are seeing on the exposed face (inside the elbow retainer nut) in your picture is the underside of the outer part of the bladder nut assembly and (still on the wing) the double gasket with the inner bladder nut component sticking through from inside the wing-bladder.

185-004__17211.1482177399.1280.1280.jpg

From left to right:

Inner Bladder Nut: Inside Bladder Nut
001-1002__25124.1367860155.500.750.jpg

Flanged portion goes inside the wing bladder and the threaded center column come out through the double gasket.

BC Double Gasket: Double BC Gasket - Wing Retainer
185-005b__15733.1482177083.1280.1280.jpg

This sandwiches bot the bladder and the outer shell where you see the paper above and seals the flange of the inner nut tot he bladder and to the outer bladder nut where you see the 2 concentric rings in your picture.

Outer Bladder Nut: Outside Bladder Nut
001-132__46597.1367860154.500.750.jpg

Screws onto the threaded center column of the inner bladder nut using the inner, female threads. Has concentric rings on the underside to seal against the bladder double gasket. Note the polygonal interior recess which interfaces with the matching form of the flange on the elbow and prevents them from rotating relative to one another. The elbow retainer screws onto the outside threads of this.

001-996__11368.1367860143.500.750.jpg

Elbow Retainer (nut) Elbow, and Gasket (goes between the elbow flange and the outer bladder nut.

Thoughts ...

• It may be possible still to break your outer bladder nut free from the elbow and retainer assembly by unscrewing the elbow retainer against the elbow itself. The polygonal interface between the elbow and outer bladder nut should keep the elbow and outer bladder flange locked from relative rotation and allow the retainer to unscrew.
  • One possible reason that you are having the problem unscrewing the retainer from the outer bladder nut is that they MAY have different threads. I think I have seen 3 different thread-types so far among various manufacturers. I have run into this where a mis-matched elbow retainer would pop-off the outer bladder nut when tightening - stands to reason that some combinations could "seize". Has this ever been "repaired" before?
  • John at NESS can certainly fix it for you although you might need the full assembly to get matching threads. I'd strongly suggest that you call first and schedule. Winter hours can be a little hit and miss if something comes up and there is always the off chance some component is on back-order.

Phew all of the blood has rushed out of my head, or in

These things are a cool tool if you are that way inclined

No glue no silicone and not too tight or the threads will jump and the thing pops apart

If the sole and hand apart system, up, there, doesn't work

So what I do is put the thing on a rubber mat on the floor
then I plonk my rubber soled feet either side of the elbow

No glue no silicone and not too tight or the threads will jump and the thing pops apart

HaHaHa, I still have that album.......

What you are seeing on the exposed face (inside the elbow retainer nut) in your picture is the underside of the outer part of the bladder nut assembly and (still on the wing) the double gasket with the inner bladder nut component sticking through from inside the wing-bladder.

185-004__17211.1482177399.1280.1280.jpg

From left to right:

Inner Bladder Nut: Inside Bladder Nut
001-1002__25124.1367860155.500.750.jpg

Flanged portion goes inside the wing bladder and the threaded center column come out through the double gasket.

BC Double Gasket: Double BC Gasket - Wing Retainer
185-005b__15733.1482177083.1280.1280.jpg

This sandwiches bot the bladder and the outer shell where you see the paper above and seals the flange of the inner nut tot he bladder and to the outer bladder nut where you see the 2 concentric rings in your picture.

Outer Bladder Nut: Outside Bladder Nut
001-132__46597.1367860154.500.750.jpg

Screws onto the threaded center column of the inner bladder nut using the inner, female threads. Has concentric rings on the underside to seal against the bladder double gasket. Note the polygonal interior recess which interfaces with the matching form of the flange on the elbow and prevents them from rotating relative to one another. The elbow retainer screws onto the outside threads of this.

001-996__11368.1367860143.500.750.jpg

Elbow Retainer (nut) Elbow, and Gasket (goes between the elbow flange and the outer bladder nut.

Thoughts ...

• It may be possible still to break your outer bladder nut free from the elbow and retainer assembly by unscrewing the elbow retainer against the elbow itself. The polygonal interface between the elbow and outer bladder nut should keep the elbow and outer bladder flange locked from relative rotation and allow the retainer to unscrew.
  • One possible reason that you are having the problem unscrewing the retainer from the outer bladder nut is that they MAY have different threads. I think I have seen 3 different thread-types so far among various manufacturers. I have run into this where a mis-matched elbow retainer would pop-off the outer bladder nut when tightening - stands to reason that some combinations could "seize". Has this ever been "repaired" before?
  • John at NESS can certainly fix it for you although you might need the full assembly to get matching threads. I'd strongly suggest that you call first and schedule. Winter hours can be a little hit and miss if something comes up and there is always the off chance some component is on back-order.
Thanks for breaking down all the pieces. I’ll give another try to unscrewing elbow retainer nut and elbow from the elbow. If I fail perhaps ordering the entire elbow kit with a new double bc gasket is a faster and simpler solution.

Thanks for the link but spanner is in AU. Found another one closer - BCD BC Scuba Bladder OPV Flange Multi Spanner Wrench Tool Dive Rite Hollis OMS | eBay Is it important for proper torque the parts?

The sysrem of find your own torque torque and they are all different

I noticed that this thread is over a month old, but it popped up again when I answered a somewhat similar question about using OxyCheq parts on an OMS wing (don’t do it). Anyway, just in case you still haven’t gotten the wing fixed after all this time, or if somebody else needs help...

JUST went through that with my OxyCheq wing. The rubber gasket (the washer looking thing under the elbow) was too badly worn and needed to be replaced. If you look at it and see a circular groove impressed into what was originally a flat surface, that’s your problem. I replaced my gasket with a fresh one (with a LIGHT coating of silicone grease) and the problem was gone!

The twelve flats on the portion of the elbow that seats in the flange must be aligned with the notches inside the flange in order to seat and seal correctly. If they are damaged (as in the points worn off) there is nothing to do but replace the elbow. If your local dealer can’t help you, OxyCheq lists all of the parts I’ve mentioned on their website. In addition, I’ve been dealing lately with Dive Gear Express with great satisfaction.

I hope this will be of use to you. As I mentioned I’ve just gone through it myself.
🐸

Back
Top Bottom