Oxycheq Single Tank Wing Sizing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba393

Registered
Reaction score
I decided on going with a B/W setup for diving but need some advice on wing sizing.

I'll be diving in NJ and NY using a single tank for now (varies between an AL80 and HP120) and a slung AL40 as a pony. I also dive with a 7mm wetsuit and 6mm hooded vest. I'm looking at the Oxycheq Mach V 30lb or 40lb single tank wing.

I'd prefer to go with the 30lb because it seems smaller, but I'm wondering if it is too small. On the other hand, if I don't need 40lb of lift, why buy more if I don't need it. Any thoughts?

PS: is the "Extreme" version of these wings worth the extra cost?

I'll be diving in NJ and NY using a single tank for now (varies between an AL80 and HP120) and a slung AL40 as a pony. I also dive with a 7mm wetsuit and 6mm hooded vest. I'm looking at the Oxycheq Mach V 30lb or 40lb single tank wing.

I'd prefer to go with the 30lb because it seems smaller, but I'm wondering if it is too small. On the other hand, if I don't need 40lb of lift, why buy more if I don't need it. Any thoughts?

PS: is the "Extreme" version of these wings worth the extra cost?

If you're going to be diving here - other than if you're only going to be in a quarry - you're going to be looking for a steel tank. The only AL80's I've seen the past few years have been stage bottles. People will suggest spreadsheets and math formulas, etc. I don't know about what those things will tell you, but I do know that 30lbs is less lift than I would want for northeast diving. You will also likely have a heavy light, a heavy reel, some other heavy stuff, and with any luck a heavy bag of scallops/lobsters/fish.

I had a 40, swapped it with another SB member who had a 30 and wanted a 40. He dived a 120 plus wanted all his ballast on the BP, so he was undersized slightly on the 30 for floating the rig on the surface. I on the other hand always use a weight belt or harness, so the 30 was perfect for me even though I am a big guy (220lbs).

The size difference though it not as much as you would think, about an inch across the width.

The size difference though it not as much as you would think, about an inch across the width.

Agreed - I have the Mach V 40, and thought it was a 30 (which is what I ordered) for a few years.

:shocked2:

I dive with a Mach V 30, SS BP, DS, and a steel single and I find the 30 to be the perfect size. I have the Extreme, because at the time it was the same price as the regular version. The only con to the extreme is that it tends not to wrap around the tank as well, however the Mach 30 lb does not have much wing to wrap anyway.

Tobin of Deep Sea Supply is a good person to talk to about wing sizing. He also makes a nice wing, which is really easy to set up and remove.

I have a 40lb wing due to the fact that my SS singles rig with 6 pounds of weight, can light, H valve, dual regs, all on a HP130, was negative at the beginning of the dive.

The 30lb is ever so slightly smaller. My gal has one on her Freedom Plate.

Personally I see no need for the Extreme wing for single tank diving. The Cordura version is plenty tough.

I believe the 30 will give you all the lift you need. As mentioned it is a bit smaller and thus less drag in the water, every bit helps.

I would be hesitant, in questioning a local.

Unless I needed an answer to my question

Back
Top Bottom