Oxygen cylinder explodes on diving boat - France

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This afternoon, I spent an unusually long time waiting on hold, listening to that awful muzak.

Here's a translation, re-edited closer to US standards.

Three seriously injured by oxygen tank explosion aboard dive boat

They left to explore the sea. They came back scared stiff, nursing serious injuries.

Saturday morning around 9:30 AM, a group of 5 divers started a trip off Carry-le-Rouet [along the Côte d'Azur near Marseille, département Bouches-du-Rhône].

Clear skies. Great viz. A fine day for diving.

Suddenly, one of the oxygen tanks aboard the 20 foot rigid hull inflatable boat exploded, according to the regional daily, La Provence.

Three of the five divers were hurt. One suffered a broken leg and facial trauma. A second received facial burns. The third victim received only minor injuries. [-]They were taken to the hospital by firefighters[/-]. The seriously injured were airlifted to the hospital by helicopter. No further information about their medical condition is available.

This rare accident has alarmed and upset the entire port of Carry-le-Rouet. A fundamental question remains: how can an oxygen bottle simply explode?

These bottles are used on board to oxygenate the divers in case of decompression sickness. They are subject to regular checks, and need to be replaced every 5 years, according to the regional daily.

An expert analysis of the bottle should provide more information on the reasons for the accident.

A police investigation has been opened.

bateau-explose-carry.jpg

Update(s):

) ... D'après les premiers éléments d'informations recueillis auprès de témoins, il s'agirait d'une bouteille d'air qui aurait explosé. ... According to initial information gathered from witnesses, it would have been an air cylinder that exploded.

Last edited:
The risk for an oxygen fire really depends on whether it was a dedicated medical oxygen tank with proper post valve with straight gas pathway (much lower risk for fire) or a scuba valve which is not designed for oxygen and has a tortuous pathway, typically nylon seat with low oxygen index, and hydrocarbon contamination of the valve from non-O2 dedicated fill whips (high risk).

Here is a rebreather O2 tank which caught fire on opening the valve. Everyone was ok as I recall but they jumped overboard. The gear and boat not so lucky.

Attachments

• Rebreather O2 fire.jpeg
    Rebreather O2 fire.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 569
I saw some old medical oxygen tanks for sale at my favorite thrift store and wondered if I could repurpose them for something. First thing to do would be drain the tanks and if needed - force the valves off. Then I saw a thread here about a guy who tried that, and the youtube flick showing pics of the bloody mess when he lost his hand. :eek:

I encouraged the thrift store lady to call the fire department for safe disposal.

That guy didn't drain the tank first. That was really the problem.
Well, I decided I was unqualified. If I couldn't get the valve open, removing it by force would be my next hunch - and what if I did get it open, and it came out fast enough to start problems.

Also another point here is to never assume that because the valve has been opened and nothing came out, all is well. I was taught to prove that the valve is open and a pathway to the tank internals is obvious. This is done by injecting air or a gas into the valve body with the valve open. Not a lot is required, then you see if the same gas comes rushing back out again. If not then perhaps the valve mechanism is open but the valve body or tube is blocked, and "PERHAPS" under full pressure.

Rule 1 ; Never assume anything!

In 2011 an S40 prepped as a 100% deco bottle exploded as it was being hand carried. I believe the young man ultimately succumbed to his injuries : (

The DOT report (all 600+ pages of it!) conclusively proved the fire started in the threaded neck area - between the cylinder and the valve. They were not able to determine the cause of ignition. Absolutely no trace of any contaminants was found. I mean WTF???

I've been self-blending partial pressure Nitrox and Trimix for many years. And I still treat pure oxygen as the boss that it is. This doesn't guarantee things won't pop one day, but it sure fixes the odds in my favour.

In the thread here about the tank explosion in Cozumel last year someone included a bunch of links to tank explosions. One was a DoT funded forensic analysis of a tank explosion in Florida. It was a 100% O2 tank that blew up. Analysis was that there was an internal flash fire, that both weakened the aluminum by both heating and consumption while also raising the internal pressure so it blew the tank up without blowing the overpressure disk. No evidence of contamination or existing damage was found. Witnesses said that apparently the owner knocked it over while getting ready to go diving and it exploded.

I have been working in shops my whole life using oxygen/ acetalene torches for years, and some of the shops are filthy as body shops usually are, with all sorts of explosive and flammable materials around. I have never seen or heard of anything exploding or catching fire, but yet on a dive boat or in a spic and span environment we hear of O2 bottles going off like bombs.
I don't get it...

I have been working in shops my whole life using oxygen/ acetalene torches for years, and some of the shops are filthy as body shops usually are, with all sorts of explosive and flammable materials around. I have never seen or heard of anything exploding or catching fire, but yet on a dive boat or in a spic and span environment we hear of O2 bottles going off like bombs.
I don't get it...
Right, and those Oxygen tanks for cutting torches do contain virtually pure O2, initially at 3,000 psi - don't they? We always removed the valves and replaced the covers when we took them out of the barn to another site, or to exchange of course - or they won't exchange, but we were not all that careful otherwise. The O2 tanks & acetylene tank were moved around on a small cart. I never saw one turned over, but it wouldn't have taken much - so I guess some are from time to time.

Something is different...?? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom