Oxygen Hacker's Companion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
For many of us it isn't just the cost of the gas but the cost of the time it takes to go out of the way (sometimes FAR out of the way) to get gas. The closest dive shop to me is about 60 miles and all they have is air. If I want nitrox or trimix I have to go to Cicago or Indy (if you can even get it there). For trimix it would likely take a trip to drop the tanks off and one to pick them up. Half of these shops aren't open late enough for me to get to unless I miss work time to do it. Just a hand full of gas fills and the missed work and travel associated with it would just about pay for a small compressor.

Lance at Scuba Quest can fill Nitrox and Trimix I believe. He stays open until 7:30pm during the summer now, opening late in the morning. Have no idea what his winter hours will be. He is also open on Saturday.

I'm up near Lafayette and can understand completely. Lafayette hasn't had a diving shop for years.

Unless Lance rents more bottles and buys more helium, he won't be selling much trimix. They just don't have the volume of gas necessary to keep the pressure at a sufficient level. One bottle just won't cut it when pp filling.

pickens_46929:
Lance at Scuba Quest can fill Nitrox and Trimix I believe. He stays open until 7:30pm during the summer now, opening late in the morning. Have no idea what his winter hours will be. He is also open on Saturday.

I'm up near Lafayette and can understand completely. Lafayette hasn't had a diving shop for years.

Wayward Son:
You must have gotten one screaming deal on a compressor! Don't think I've seen one for under about $2600.
Read Kidspot's post a bit more closely and you will see that Tim is just putting in the O2, then using another tank to add in enough air to get it below 40% O2. Then he gets the dive shop to top it off, and also to replenish the tank he used to transfill enough air to get it below 40%. So it's his O2, and two airfills from the local dive shop. No compressor needed. And this slightly convoluted method should work for trimix too. Very low initial expense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom