Oxygen Toxicity Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not sure what your 50% chance of adverse reaction actually means. It would be interesting for you to cite your source. It can be very deceiving. For example, if you had a 0.5 percent chance of something happening in once instance and a 0.75% chance of it happening in the second instance, that would be a 50% increase.
And to take it even further and into the realm of recreational NDL dives, if you have a 0.01% chance to oxtox in 30 minutes at a ppo2 of 1,4 and you have a 0.02% chance to oxtox in 30 minutes at a ppo2 of 1,5 thats a 100% increase in the risk - yet the risk is pretty much zero in both instances.. (Numbers are pulled out of my ass though, but I doubt were talking serveral percent chance of oxtox within the given recreational NDL reccomendations..

For short exposures on recreational dives, a pO2 of 1.4 seems totally reasonable to me,but of course everyone is free to choose their own limits.

For a 200,or even 250 foot bounce on air, O2 toxicity is a non event IMHO. Narcosis is the real problem. I've done a few 200 foot air dives in perfect conditions. I know I can function well enough to maintain depth,and monitor gas and time. I also know I wouldn't react appropriately in an emergency.

True, CNS O2 accumulation is definitely a time issue. If we believe the exposure tables, the risky things start at ppO2 1.6 (still, I guess no one died because of a single breath of O2 at ppO2 2 bar...). Below it's interesting only for divers doing repetitive deep nitrox dives with short surface intervals. If you observe the 1.4bar limit, after 1 hour dive time and 1 hour surface interval you are at ~30% CNS load. Another 1hour@1.4bar brings you to 70%, which can be halved with a 90min SI.

Pushing a little bit, 1hour@1.55bar ppO2 + 1 hour SI still allows for a second dive... I don't say anybody should push, but there is plenty of conservatism in the ppO2 1.4bar recreational limit/rule of thumb. Personally I won't be shy to ask EANx30 for my first dive @ 36m (120') and EANx32 for the second @ 30m (100').

Color me surprised! In doing a little research, I found the NOAA Dive Table for EANx 32 -- 32% O2 Nitrox -- and the table goes to 130 feet, or a ppO2 of 1.6 ATM. For comparison, the NOAA Dive Table for air shows a maximum NDL bottom time at 130 feet of 10 minutes, while the EANx 32 Table shows a maximum NDL bottom time at 130 feet of 20 minutes. So, at least under the NOAA table (from the recently revised 4th Edition of the NOAA Diving Manual), comparatively short exposure to ppO2 of up to 1.6 ATM is low in risk. The Dive Manual itself recommends a max ppO2 of 1.4 ATM, with limited increases to as much as 1.6 ATM acceptable.

However, a recent article in Alert Diver (the DAN publication) notes that CNS Oxygen Toxicity events, including siezures, have been documented at a ppO2 of 1.3 ATM in divers with heavy exertion, while divers who are resting and relaxed can tolerate ppO2 of 1.6 for more than an hour. The same DAN article notes that there are two different manifestations of Oxygen toxicity -- pulmonary Oxygen toxicity, which usually manifests only after several hours (it has been observed at ppO2 levels as low as .45 ATM with 30 hours of continuous exposure), and Central Nervous System or CNS Oxygen toxicity, which requires a higher ppO2 but can manifest much more quickly. Certain medications and CO2 load can increase a diver's susceptibility to Oxygen toxicity.

Personally, I like a wide margin of safety, so I think I stick with my rule of thumb not to exceed a ppO2 of 1.2 ATM, knowing that I can exceed that limit for short periods without a substantial risk.

One of such medications that make you more susceptible Ive been told is a very popular one called Sudafed - dont know if that holds true though..

One of such medications that make you more susceptible Ive been told is a very popular one called Sudafed - dont know if that holds true though..

It's controversial. The DAN study on this is well worth the read just to see how artfully they tiptoe around the research and draw a conclusion while at the same time undermining its credibility--intentionally. Half the report is explaining how reports work and why you shouldn't believe this one.

They looked at the evidence of divers getting toxed while using Sudafed, and the evidence was very weak. One problem was that they couldn't be sure the some of the deceased divers had toxed. No one saw it happen, and they had no clear cause of death. A tox event leaves no sign in autopsy. Next, there weren't many cases to begin with. Finally, they could not point with any finger at causation. Lots of divers use Sudafed. Very few tox--it's very rare. If one toxes, was it the Sudafed that caused it, or would it have happened anyway?

then they had to look for signs that it can cause a problem, and they found an old study or two that showed that an ingredient similar to one in Sudafed did something to mice (I am not sure).

So they said, well, maybe you should avoid it.

Yeah, I read that one uncfnp and the way they pretty much lay up from the beginning that nothing with regards to drugs can be proven kinda makes it look.. Less than not bought by a pharmacy - unfortunately...
Although in the end they do conclude that for rec diving youre "probably safe" while if youre intending to go beyond ppo2 of 1.4 you probably shouldnt be doing drugs..

"Its probably safe" and "trust me, we do this all the time" kinda has the same ring to it though..

I know of at least 3 fatalities related to taking Sudaded and breathing a Po2 of 1.4 to 1.6. its a fact

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I know of at least 3 fatalities related to taking Sudaded and breathing a Po2 of 1.4 to 1.6. its a fact

How do you know of them? Please point us to the coroner's report, DAN article, etc.

I'm sure DAN will be interested in your research.

Back
Top Bottom