Oxygen Toxicity Discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving to 200ft plus on air on a single cylinder without any redundancy is just plain stupid. take the freaking trimix course, invest in the proper equipment and do it safely. I have pulled way too many cowboys off those damn walls.Diving to 200ft on air with a single cylinder doesn't really deserve braging rights. anyone can deflate their BC on a wall and drop to 200ft. its coming back a live that matters and understanding what in the hell is going on physiological in their body and haven the redundancy to deal with emergencies and equipment failures. stupid people

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I read that one uncfnp and the way they pretty much lay up from the beginning that nothing with regards to drugs can be proven kinda makes it look.. Less than not bought by a pharmacy - unfortunately...
Although in the end they do conclude that for rec diving youre "probably safe" while if youre intending to go beyond ppo2 of 1.4 you probably shouldnt be doing drugs..

"Its probably safe" and "trust me, we do this all the time" kinda has the same ring to it though..

The sad truth about the medical field is that "probably" is about as definitive as it gets!

Up here in the Midwest when coming up after a deep dive we switch to 50% O2 at 70 ft for deco. That's PPO of 1.6 and that's common and not a problem.

Up here in the Midwest when coming up after a deep dive we switch to 50% O2 at 70 ft for deco. That's PPO of 1.6 and that's common and not a problem.

thats a common gas switch for a advanced nitrox/deco diver. no big deal as long as the diver is drug free

---------- Post added May 25th, 2013 at 09:09 PM ----------

thats a common gas switch for a advanced nitrox/deco diver. no big deal as long as the diver is drug free

plus on 50/50 your only at a 1.6 at a very short time at 70ft then you ascend up.

Do you have a source for these quasi-scientific assertions? It would really be helpful. Because it would change the way I (and I suspect quite a few others here as well) view Sudafed if I could read the study, discussion, etc.

Thanks, in advance.

Do you have a source for these quasi-scientific assertions? It would really be helpful. Because it would change the way I (and I suspect quite a few others here as well) view Sudafed if I could read the study, discussion, etc.

Thanks, in advance.

dude. do you work for sudafed or something. lol. there is plenty of information out there on using sudafed during technical dives. not so much on recreational diving and sudafed.
im not going into specifics with you. two of them where friends of mine. enough common denominator

The Sudafed question is very relevant to some of us. I like to hit Bonaire for 7 day trips; unlimited shore diving with included nitrox has always been part of the package deal. Aiming for roughly 16 - 22 dives for a week, and it being free, I use that nitrox.

Thing is, 'allergies' & some congestion are pretty common, and trips like that get planned months in advance and with airfare, resort, truck rental & food, $2,500/person is easy to hit. Might be your only tropical dive get-away that year. So, you get down there, and you're stuffy. Squeeze calling a dive is bad, but reverse squeeze once you're down is so much worse.

I suspect that on the average day in Bonaire there's a whole lot of Sudafed-taking going on, in people diving nitrox. I'm guessing it's the same on some live-aboards. A lot of Bonaire dives aren't real deep, and don't entail a ppO2 1.4+ at any point in the dive, of course.

My point is, the Sudafed issue is relevant to a lot of us. If someone has compelling accounts of diving it killing anybody, I'd like to hear the allegations.

Richard.

dude. do you work for sudafed or something. lol. there is plenty of information out there on using sudafed during technical dives. not so much on recreational diving and sudafed.
im not going into specifics with you. two of them where friends of mine. enough common denominator

That is not the kind of thing that passes without record.

research

DAN | Medical Articles

Thanks for that research, I have read that before. It amounts to a collection of incidents where something bad happened and the diver happened to be taking Sudafed at the time. The author makes pretty clear that the causal link is flimsy, at best. I think that is probably the article that BoulderJohn characterized above.

If your friends' unfortunate deaths are not included in that list you should make DAN aware of them, to hopefully bolster the evidence.

I do not work for Sudafed, by the way (lol?). I don't take it anymore, either, but I do like to keep abreast of the current best practices regarding diving. I also just like to keep track of which posters here are credible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom