Oyster diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if the oyster beds are still there?
There are some still around but they're not as large as they used to be.

And honestly, the oysters being farmed in the bay are excellent. Growing them suspended in cages produces a much cleaner oyster than those on the bottom. Kind of not worth the hassle to dive for them any more.

And honestly, the oysters being farmed in the bay are excellent. Growing them suspended in cages produces a much cleaner oyster than those on the bottom. Kind of not worth the hassle to dive for them any more.
This I agree with 100%. The oysters I get are pretty dirty (on the outside), the only upside is they're about 2 or 3x as big as the ones I would get from the farms. There is something to be said about a box of clean oysters and little mess.

In one of my other posts I have one open. I have always been told my hands are big and that sucker just about takes up my whole palm. If we're making oyster stew shucking ~ 30 big oysters vs shucking ~ 60 little oysters is much more appealing.

Many times in Costa Rica [Islas Murcielegos]. We used to leave the dock with a gallon jug of frozen water and a half dozen limes / lemons. Lunch was oysters we could harvest, shucked and sprinkled with lime / lemon juice and washed down with cold ice water. Best lunch ever!

Many times in Costa Rica [Islas Murcielegos]. We used to leave the dock with a gallon jug of frozen water and a half dozen limes / lemons. Lunch was oysters we could harvest, shucked and sprinkled with lime / lemon juice and washed down with cold ice water. Best lunch ever!
Oh man that sounds amazing!

I have become friendly and sometimes take some to a local Spanish restaurant. They (the Spanish workers) will shuck 2 or 3 into a cup and add salt, lime juice, and then hot sauce and down it.

Might not be able to understand most of them, but we sure do have a good time!

We have farmed oysters (wild I don’t know yet, I’m going to find out), lots of fish, rock scallops that the meat/button can be the size if a hockey puck, Dungeness crab, red rock crab, millions of urchins (purples), lobsters down south in Socal not up here, mussels, regular clams, horse neck clams, puget sound king crabs (you have to freedive for those), and various other things including wolf eels, giant pacific octopuss.
The water stays about the same temp year around - cold. Notice I didn’t say freezing.. it does not warm up in the summer, but then the coast never freezes either. It will be 27 degrees here inland in the winter and the coast is in the 40’s. It will be 105 here in summer and the coast will be 75-80. It takes me a minimum of about 50 minutes to be at the coast in Bodega Bay and about 1.5 hours to be at great shore diving spots further north so not too far. On the days when it’s too hot in town I just blow out of here and go to the ocean.
Spring time is when the water probably gets the coldest when the inland valleys start to heat up which causes air to rise which then causes air flow and the wind on the coast starts to crank up. The oceanic winds cause upwelling and the deep water Alaskan cold current gets pumped up to the surface and the water can dip into the mid to high 40’s. It’s super clean and clear for about a few hours to a couple days then the sun will cause the nutrient rich deep water to bloom and vis drops and it will turn green. But that’s why there is so much life and so much stuff growing and filter feeders. The best vis I ever had up in Mendocino county was close to 100’ and it lasted about three hours. We just happened to be there at the exact time the vis soared. And the worst vis I’ve had was about 3’-4’. Less than that and I don’t bother.
The swell can come up here pretty gnarly sometimes when there’s storm activity out in the Pacific, but other times the ocean can be lake flat with almost no movement.
Winter time is actually considered better diving here with better vis because of lower sun angle and no blooms but you have to catch it between the storms.
The ocean here is the only thing that keeps me in California. If it wasn’t for the ocean I would have been out of here years ago.
And where I live in the northern part of the state the ocean is still pristine and uncrowded. The remoteness and difficulty to get here with curvy roads and the distance from the city is what keeps the crowds in check. Plus not many people are big enough lunatics and dive freaks to dive here.
I’ve been to Hawaii a few times and the GBR once a long time ago and to be honest I like it here better. The only thing the other places had over this place was warmer water, but I don’t care about that. I’m an adventurer/hunter/gatherer and this place suits me just fine.
@rob.mwpropane it sounds like we have a lot in common in our reasons why we dive.

Wow…a lot of oyster eaters here. I just never realized the vast fortune I threw away when I had colds and allergies and just casually threw away all those tissues.
I love shucking and prepping oysters…but, ah, eating one. I’ve had people actively try to kill me, and geez, that was a whole lot easier than sticking one of those bivalves anywhere near my piehole.

If you don't like raw, try fried, everything is edible fried🤣.

Other than that, the easiest ways are Rockefeller, charbroiled, steamed, then in some sort of soup.

In the winter I like raw, steamed, and Rockefeller. Summer is cooked only.

Also, if you get a chance to try some Cedar Key farm raised oysters they are excellent. They've been farming clams there for years and supply a large amount of the clams used in the US but they have recently started with oysters too. Some of the tastiest I've had in a long time. They were almost as good as what I remember Apalachicola oysters being like the first time I tried them. We've been chasing that ever since so maybe I've built up the Apalachicola oysters so much that nothing will ever compete. Regardless Cedar Key is up there.

If you're ever in Cedar Key, take a couple hours and do the tour of the clam farming operation. We really enjoyed it. Lots of cool info.

Back
Top Bottom