P-Valves for women - advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the links BabyDuck. I read with a couple of pages with interest and quiet a lot of laughter. Sounds like a lot of gluingbut worth it I think. I will read the rest of the threads and post any news once I have anything to report.

I'd be really suspicious of any device that doesn't depend on a solid seal. Diving is an active thing -- you are constantly moving, and your clothing and exposure protection is moving, too. I can't imagine any way that device could be made reliable on a moving body, without making it so tight it would be very uncomfortable. But then again, I haven't tried it and don't know anyone who has. It would be very interesting to hear a review. In the meantime, I'll stick with my She-P. (Literally.)

They claim it's 95% effective
What's a spritzer or two between
friends, and a couple of pairs of
grundies
Have to beat the pants off glue
and shaving, well the glue
I'm getting one
Ewww.

OPINION FROM A MALE

Although a better seal for women is harder to achieve, I believe that the principals are the same. Watertight against back-pressure.

The OP is asking about the difference between the 2 so it is obvious that a diaper is not a wanted option. That may come with an increased risk of UTI anyway.
I personally dive with a p-valve and use the Halcyon system. I dive with guys that use other systems and catheters. Here is what we find:

*Adhesive is the way to go. No one likes to glue something to a sensitive area then have to pull it off but simply put, there is no other option that works as well.
*Many guys that use other types of catheters without adhesive have frequent failure. This happened yesterday to a dive buddy who was trying a different brand and style of catheter without adhesive. His boots were full of urine at the end of the dive. He thought he had a drysuit leak.
*I can't see how a soft flexible seal will work as well as the adhesive of a the She-Pee. Sometimes you feel some back-pressure for whatever reason and the adhesive for men seems to hold well.
*We have to manscape, you have to landscape in order to make it work right but it is certainly worth it.
*Having the ability to properly hydrate and always feel comfortable in the water is invaluable when drysuit diving and I think safer since there is less stress and preoccupation with your urge to pee.

I think you are doing the right thing by asking around to those who use both systems in question and getting direct opinions. Good luck.

Thank you. I am not rushing into this, as UK dives not long enough/cold enough right now but I want to get my head (and landscaping and gluing technique it would seem) around it.
Wish me luck!

FebePoet- My only experience is with the She-P so will not comment on the She-Wee. The two threads Marci linked earlier in this thread helped me tremendously along with the many PMs I received filled with advice from the generous SB's She-P pioneers.

My current dives are not long but I will eventually get into deco dives so wanted to start now because of my dive locales. Some of the Florida cave sites I dive are rather "rustic" and have no indoor toilet facilities. Removing a drysuit to squat and pee in the woods is not an option when it's pouring rain. Removing a drysuit in an enclosed Porta-Pottie to squat has my drysuit and me touching areas of the Porta-Pottie I'd rather it and I not touch. :vomit:

On a boat, undressing in the marine head to pee can be dangerous when rough sea conditions causes the boat to pitch like a mechanical bull ride. The She-P and P-valve solves all those issues and allows me to stay hydrated throughout the day.

There is a learning curve but that is true for any piece of scuba gear. At first, I found the shaving and the gluing inconvenient but have gotten better and faster each time. I've glued my butt cheeks together on two separate occasions during the learning curve period :blush: and had my first leak two weeks ago. Luckily I had a Poise pad so did not soil my wicking layer or drysuit undergarment.

The She-P and P-Valve are the best pieces of scuba gear I've purchased since my drysuit and can light. I envy the dudes who get to pee standing up 24/7. :D

The She-P community on SB has a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have a question you're not comfortable posting online.

FebePoet- My only experience is with the She-P so will not comment on the She-Wee. The two threads Marci linked earlier in this thread helped me tremendously along with the many PMs I received filled with advice from the generous SB's She-P pioneers.

My current dives are not long but I will eventually get into deco dives so wanted to start now because of my dive locales. Some of the Florida cave sites I dive are rather "rustic" and have no indoor toilet facilities. Removing a drysuit to squat and pee in the woods is not an option when it's pouring rain. Removing a drysuit in an enclosed Porta-Pottie to squat has my drysuit and me touching areas of the Porta-Pottie I'd rather it and I not touch. :vomit:

On a boat, undressing in the marine head to pee can be dangerous when rough sea conditions causes the boat to pitch like a mechanical bull ride. The She-P and P-valve solves all those issues and allows me to stay hydrated throughout the day.

There is a learning curve but that is true for any piece of scuba gear. At first, I found the shaving and the gluing inconvenient but have gotten better and faster each time. I've glued my butt cheeks together on two separate occasions during the learning curve period :blush: and had my first leak two weeks ago. Luckily I had a Poise pad so did not soil my wicking layer or drysuit undergarment.

The She-P and P-Valve are the best pieces of scuba gear I've purchased since my drysuit and can light. I envy the dudes who get to pee standing up 24/7. :D

The She-P community on SB has a wealth of knowledge and experience to share. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have a question you're not comfortable posting online.

ScubaSam,

Thank you for that. It all seems to make sense and I will act on this. I am just trying to pace myself with new gear, not adding too many variables at once. I wholeheartedly agree about yucky 'porta-potties' and other unpleasant locations to relieve the pressure!!

Once I get the glue out, if I have any questions I will definitely post or PM. Thank you for the offer.

Febe

I also have the She-P. I would say I have about 85% success rate with it. Most of the time it works like a charm & once in a while, I'll not get something right (have yet to put my finger on it) & it will leak. I usually also use a Poise urinary pad, so that helps keep the mess of a leak minimal. The only real problem (besides the occaisional leak) I have is I can only wear the She-P for about 3 days straight (sometimes I will do cave diving trips for 7- 10 days), before giving it a rest for a day or 2, as my skin in that area starts to get very irritated. Afterwards I can wear it again for another 2- 3 days. I will say it is a godsend for those days when I'm teaching & in my drysuit pretty much all day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom