Pacific Northwest Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm thinking of heading up to Hood Canal area (Sund Rock or Octopus hole). My good friend Scott will problem go but if any others are going, we would love to dive with more advanced divers. Scott and I are both very novice and are still really slow getting ready and trying to figure out each others diving style(if there is such a thing.)

toddbr once bubbled...
I'm thinking of heading up to Hood Canal area (Sund Rock or Octopus hole). My good friend Scott will problem go but if any others are going, we would love to dive with more advanced divers. Scott and I are both very novice and are still really slow getting ready and trying to figure out each others diving style(if there is such a thing.)

Stop at Hood Sport N Dive and get a map of Sund Rock, and a diving lecture from Mike :) They also have lodging right next to the dive shop, and within sight of Sund. There are numerous areas to dive at Sund that will keep you busy for a couple days if you work at it. I think Octopus Hole is boring but YMMV.

MD

Try Sunrise in Gig Harbor and Sund Rock on Hood Canal. Those are the two best sites I've been to.

seavonj wrote:

"If you are looking for visibility try Lake Crescent just to the West of Port Angeles, you can encounter up to 100 ft of vis,"

Viz the last three weekends for me has been in the 25 to 30 ft range (I am guessing due to all the rain up here). This was at East Beach.

toddbr, If you go to Lake Crescent, two things. One the water taste funny :) (no salt).

Second, Scuba Supplies in Port Angeles is the nearest dive shop within 50 or so miles.

Have a good dive.

Well, the short answer to your question about what to see is "not much".

There are only 4 types of life I have seen. Clams, trout, crawdads, and sculpins (picture attached). I just moved up here so time underwater at Lake Crescent is not much but talking to other divers I have seen it all.

Where is either East Beach or the North park seavonj mentioned. Both have about 50 yards of shallow water to wade out in before the drop off. Basic facilities are available at both.

Lake Crescent is usually the alternate site if the Straight is unsatisfactory. If you are coming up here I would highly recommend stopping in and seeing Mike at Scuba Supplies. He has been in the area for years and will give you a good list of sites to try.

Dove at Lake Crescent over the summer--did see a solitary trout off in the distance and a few little crawdads in the rocks... No the best thing about Lake Crescent was perching on a rock cliff and doing a little slo-mo underwater cliff-diving (40 to 130 ffw in no time at all)... That and not having to rinse my gear off when I got home from a long weekend at Salt Creek... Viz must've been 100+; could see the thermocline haze, pretty cool...

Someone early in this thread talked about bad viz at Edmunds... You definately take your chances there, but the best dives I've had there were all early in the morning--especially on weekends. Had maybe 40' pr even 50' viz a month ago or so... But it had dropped off to 30' or thereabouts by the second dive...

Just to do Crescent Lake? No--but I would recommend Salt Creek and the rest of the Strait of Juan de Fuca... Winter diving means no kelp, but the weather can be a little iffy...

But if you're going out to the Strait, cleaning your gear at Crescent Lake is a good way to end the trip...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom