Pack of sharks off Salem, MA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decapoddiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, at least that's what my sub-concious thought when I looked up and saw about 30 dogfish circling over me while scalloping. Pretty amazing to watch. They would swim right up to me as long as they thought I couldn't see them. If I turned and looked, they bolted away. When I say close, I mean I turned my head quickly and bumped one with my mask. Definitely...exciting? I'm not sure if they were attracted by what I was stirring up or just curious. Oh, and when I sent up my Pelican float (you know. the bright wobbly object that looks like a lure:D ) it was a real crowd gatherer. I've seen them before but never that many at once. It was a lot of fun.

Cool!

I saw my first dogfish a few weeks ago also while collecting some scallops. They didn't get quite that close, but there were three or four of them floating around that were pretty interested in what we were doing.

Seems they behave a lot like stripers who I've almost come into contact with because they are so curious.

I have never seen one, can one of you try to get a picture to share???

I worked a couple fridays with a friend out on a boat (Lots of fishing involved, not too many people needed tows...) out of Beverly..

I swear he caught 30 dogs for every non-dog he caught out there.

Also, some friends did the Poling last Wednesday night, and they saw a number...

There definately seems to be more than normal from what I've heard & seen so far this year...

BTW, anyone know of a boat with the name 'Diver(s?) Down?'

element once bubbled...
I saw about 15 Dog fish Saturday while diving Lanes Cove. Curious about wyour friend catching all the dogs.

Hey Beaker Did your friend keep the Dogs or release them?

Let each & everyone go, and he got his hook back every time!

This guys are totally harmless, right?

Everything I have heard about them says they are compleatly harmless. Can be a little wird feeling when they come right to you and lookinto your mask. They usaly scatter when I exhale. I believe like some stripers they are looking for food and hope we will toss the little lobsterstheir way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom