packing for first liveaboard - blackbeard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am getting my packing list together for my first liveaboard!! I am usually one of those "list guys" especially considering if I forget something I am pretty much out of luck. Other than the typical stuff one would pack for a tradition dive trip (just got back from CoCo View recently) - what are some odd things I would not necessarily think of packing that I would need for this trip?

A few things I have gleaned from other posts include:
Seasick meds (if needed)
an inflatable seat cushion (I heard the benches are hard topside!)

what other odds and ends?

Also - I know space is tight on the board - as far as stowing extra luggage, etc. I am under the impression I can keep my suitcase at the dock and I take my clothes in with a soft bag that I store on my bed? (Do I have any other storage, or just that?).

What kind of camera storage do they have on the boat?

thanks!

I did a trip with them earlier this year and had a great time. Storage on board will depend on how many passengers are going. We had a light load so there was plenty of bunk space to store bags. If you need to charge batteries, bring an extension cord or multi-outlet. I didn't think the benches topside were hard but your mileage may vary (I was on the Morning Star).

Since you will doing a ton of dives, I would strongly recommend a back-up dive computer. ( whether you rent it or own it ).

Make sure you take it with you U/W, it does little good sitting in your dive bag. The idea is when ( not if ) your primary computer fails, you still have your nitrogen load on the back-up. ( That is if you dive it from day one. ) You will still be able to continue diving. If you don't have a back-up, you should be out of the water for 24 hours. Of course, those dives will be the best of the trip with hammerhead, dolphin & whale shark sightings!

I just returned from a live-aboard trip, one of the divers had a back-up. However, he kept it in his dive bag.

Have a great trip!

second the plug strip. here's my liveaboard list, if any of it seems helpful...ignore the parts about bras... :D

playing cards
phone, charger, earphones
thumb drive
camera, housing, etc
2-3 bathing suits
2-3 shorts
3-4 shirts (?long sleeve) (?old ones)
3-4 undies
bra
sports bras / camisoles
deck shoes
sandals
sunscreen
meds
goretex shell windbreaker
sunglasses with croakie
crystallized ginger
nail clippers
drink mug/bottle - ? buy there
? liquor
lemonade powder
bulldog clips
sudafed, antidiarrheal, seasickness, lotrimin, motrin
vaseline
neosporin
larry’s camera & stuff
sweat jacket
lighter
cave line
bolt snap
dive juice
kindle
moisturizer
cover-up
small thing of laundry detergent
chapstick
towel
o2 analyzer
reg -? yoke or din
big ziplocs
extra batteries - 2 c, 2 cr-123, 8 aa
power strip
mask
computers
snorkel
sun hat
reef gloves
trouser socks
c card
dvd movies
log
hood
wet suit
baby wipes
booties
duct tape
fins
plate & harness/pocket/slate/zknife
wing
light, charger, batteries for light
sausage/smb
plastic trash/walmart bags
spool/reel
iriver
neoprene socks

I am not a skinny guy - but don't have man boobs yet - so no bra is needed :) Plus my girlfriend may be a tad suspicious if I come home with a bra in my suitcase.

Thaks for the list - never thought of a power strip - and have to dig up my ole backup and test it out.
Can you do laundry on the boat? I would never have thought about that -.

Also - anyone use dry shampoo? or since I am a guy I will probably get my "dive trip hair cut" which is just a hair longer than a traditional buzz cut to make things simple!

Bug spray? need it?

h2ogal, you're welcome. i have lists for packing for all kinds of diving - cave, cave in mexico, boat, liveaboard...

well, i pack detergent in case i run out of undies or something, but i don't *plan* to use it. i use real shampoo every day, but i'm funny about not being washed at the end of the dive day, even when diving spring water, so i can't answer about the dry shampoo. and maybe some bug spray wipes for days in dock, but not many bugs on the open sea, thank goodness.

If you've got a digital camera, extra sd cards.

Computer or tablet, in case you get some really great footage and want to share it with your fellow passengers.

I was in the forward berth and had half a shelf for storage, but I wore less clothes than I had with me.

You can take your luggage on board, unpack and then they'll store it off-board for you. No need for a stuff/soft sack.

Have a great time!

Every trip I go on I take less and less clothes and STILL have too many! Take a few paperbacks and leave them on the boat when you're done reading them. They'll likely have mugs or plastic tumblers for you but I always pack a 20 oz Tervis tumbler...they hold lots of liquid, keep the ice for a long time and don't leave water rings everywhere you set them down, and you always know which glass is yours.

Take a duffle bag, quick dry towel (available at REI or other outdoor stores), automotive clips or clothespins to clip your wetsuit onto the rail (keeps it from blowing away while drying), small flashlight, extra mask in case you smash yours, hard candy, gum, treats for everyone, kerchief (useful in many ways). You won't need too many clothes. Something nice to wear on shore night and a lightweight sweater/sweatshirt for breezy nights. Rain gear. And your own cup/thermos/something to drink out of as mentioned before.

Back
Top Bottom