Packing List for Flower Garden Trip on the Fling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember when air was the standard and nitrox was the exception out there. I also watched that change to the other way around. The Gardens is just the perfect nitrox dive spot. Multiple dives between 70 and 90 feet. You really don't want to be stuck diving tables out there.

Forgive me for saying this... please learn how to use your borrowed computer. Know what the different graphics are telling you. If you surface with a deco violation you will be missing dives.

BTW, Next dive trip is next month with family, cruise ship to Cozumel, Belize & Roatan/Honduras. We'll dive all 3 places, but again, just 2 tank boat dives there per day.

Some Cozumel diving is pretty deep; I don't know whether you're diving a cruise line op. or booking privately, and with just 1 day they may do a simple dive to get a look at you in the water, then decide on the next site (or just how closely they'd better watch you guys), so it may not be as big an issue for you as for some. But if you try diving tables on a deep (but multi-level) dive on air, you might run into NDL limits faster than computer users (probably everybody else).

I didn't know if you planned to take or rent a computer in Cozumel or usually dove tables, but on a guided group deep multi-level drift dive, something to think about.

Richard.

Know what the different graphics are telling you. If you surface with a deco violation you will be missing dives.
....................but not your buddy------& he/she'll be telling you what you missed....:)...................Agree, get familiar with the computer before going.....

You said you just had your regs tuned. Dive them at least once before this trip. Servicing sometimes brings surprises. On a trip w/ lots of diving rinse my ears with a sensitive skin hand disinfectant between dives; some of these are also mildly moisturizing.

We get a lot a people on their way down to Freeport for the Flower Gardens as we're on the way.

Some of them know that they need a light, surface marker buoy, etc, but don't have them and won't buy what they're missing. We've actually been told on several occasions that they plan on "borrowing" whatever they're missing from other divers once they get on the boat.

We've also had divers rent gear only to have it "borrowed" by someone else who didn't have it, but needed it. The "borrowed" equipment sometimes gets found adrift on the deck on the way back in when its no longer needed by the borrower. We stopped renting any gear for offshore use because of this problem.

Good that you're being proactive with your equipment.

Sad to say this, but for anyone else planning a trip to the Flower Gardens, give your fellow divers a break and make sure you have the equipment that you're supposed to have before you get on the boat.

Thanks for all the info.
Just bought a new dive computer, & will be familiarizing with it next few days...

I have a dive alert. Do I also need to buy & bring a safety sausage/surface marker buoy?

Thanks,

Please read the M/V Fling's FAQ.

Thanks for all the info.
Just bought a new dive computer, & will be familiarizing with it next few days...

I have a dive alert. Do I also need to buy & bring a safety sausage/surface marker buoy?

Thanks,

Yes.

Please read the M/V Fling's FAQ.

WHD, good going on getting that computer, a piece of equipment you'll use many times from here on out...:).....The Fling used to swap out a SS(SMB) of their own for your C Card---just turn in the SS @ end of your diving & you'll get your C Card back(thinking this might still be the same practice but it's been a couple years since I went out with them--someone here chime in & verify this info))...........

Diver 85:

Thanks for the great info.
Just called Fling Charters & confirmed that: Yes, the boat will loan me a safety sausage for the trip.
Saved me $60 & trip back to store...

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom