Packing List for Flower Garden Trip on the Fling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To not open the new thread, I will ask here.
I booked Labor day three days trip to Flower Garden. (Still looking for buddy, better from Dallas area).
Some my friends recomended to buy Nautilus Lifeline VHF Radio w/GPS before the trip because it is ocean, but I didn't see any word about the device in any comment/google regarding Flower Garden. In local dive shop dive master, who joined to this trips not once, also said that he doesn't remember divers in FLower Garden with such device. He said that trip itself pretty safe, not complicated (except jumping from 6ft to water) and no big currents around.
I understand many people in this forum were in Flower Garden trip already.
Suggestions? Comments? about the device.
I can spend $299 if needed, but I don't want to look like idiot with professional equipment in baby pool :)

Roman------"no big currents around"-----that can change from hour to hour......:)...Have no idea about the GPS thingy you're asking about, last time I was out there it was not invented--yet(year before BP spill & they used the Fling/Spree for ocean motels)......

In local dive shop dive master, who joined to this trips not once, also said that he doesn't remember divers in FLower Garden with such device. He said that trip itself pretty safe, not complicated (except jumping from 6ft to water) and no big currents around.
I can spend $299 if needed, but I don't want to look like idiot with professional equipment in baby pool :)

While not at all common, I have seen such devices out there.

What you need to understand is the FGB can be like a big pool; or it can produce very challenging conditions UW and on the surface. You are going at a time when seas are often quite pleasant, UNLESS THERE IS A STORM. I have seen UW currents stronger than you can comfortably swim against and surface conditions that had half the boat sick. I have seen conditions where many of the divers passed up one or more dives due to surface conditions. I have seen a number of divers injured and one who was never seen again. When conditions get marginal, all should have serious safety concerns. Looking at your link, I would probably opt for the 10 ft. SMB. I have watched the standard 4 footers disappear in the swells with separated divers just 100 meters from the boat.

Don't worry about looking "overprepared."

I carry my Nautilus Lifeline on EVERY open water dive. I know plenty of other divers who do as well.

I haven't heard any ridicule of that practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

To not open the new thread, I will ask here.
I booked Labor day three days trip to Flower Garden. (Still looking for buddy, better from Dallas area).
Some my friends recomended to buy Nautilus Lifeline VHF Radio w/GPS before the trip because it is ocean, but I didn't see any word about the device in any comment/google regarding Flower Garden. In local dive shop dive master, who joined to this trips not once, also said that he doesn't remember divers in FLower Garden with such device. He said that trip itself pretty safe, not complicated (except jumping from 6ft to water) and no big currents around.

My Nautilus goes with me on every dive in the ocean. When you check in on the boat let the crew know you have one and make sure you have the unit fully charged and the correct channels for Chat and Hail/Distress programed in so the boat can monitor you. Better to have and not need than need and not have. This is a simple question. Is your safety worth $299?

....(year before BP spill & they used the Fling/Spree for ocean motels)......

Not quite. We did not work the BP spill, we went diving in the Flower Gardens.

---------- Post added August 9th, 2014 at 06:46 AM ----------

One of the last places in the world I'd consider a "baby pool" is the Flower Gardens. With that said, I do not think you would need a Lifeline. The crew of the Fling has never failed to spot and recover a diver who got away from the boat. They might not come get you right away, but listen to the briefings, do what the DMs/Captains tell you, pay attention, and you will come back to the boat every time. Very few lost divers are lost because the diver messed up, most are lost because the crew wasn't paying attention. The Fling crew is one of the best trained liveaboard crews in the industry. I'd go so far as to say second best, but maybe I'm biased...:)

Wookie----do remember we were scheduled for the Fling that summer-----& that trip & all trips) were cancelled after the spill........What year was that???----ie my last time out was the summer before the spill----hope I remember my way around the boat......:).....

The spill occurred April 20, 2010.

Back
Top Bottom