Packing Scuba Euqipment For Air Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry my regulator, computer and logbook as carry-on. The TSA permits this, read the following TSA bulletin:

TSA scuba bulletin

Others carry their mask as well. That way, if your equipment doesn't show up, you can still dive with your own "important" equipment.

Carbon

Take your computer in hand luggage. Protects from damage and saves issues with luggage going missing. Especially on the return leg if your computer stores dive logs.

As for the post mentioning a TSA article - its worth checking local regulations. The posters location wasnt the USA and different countries and airlines have different rules. I know here ive been prevented from taking regulators as hand luggage as it "may be a weapon" for example.

You cn get those travel locks that the TSA can open witha key but you use a combo for i saw them at my dive shop the other day they were 10-15 a peice a believe. The TSA uses the key and the little indicator goes from green to red (or red to green don't remember) they will than relock it when done, this aliminates the needto rely on them to ziptie it when they are done, they just pop a lock on it and go.

Anywho off to the quarry,
John

Edit: But since yo uare in Kuwait City you may not have to worry about the TSA sorry i just looked at your Info. . . .

if you use your BC as outer protection, make sure you lay it with the tankstrap,backpac,side out, so the plastic parts on the front are also protected.

Ummm. :06: Errrr, :icosm12: I do believe from his home location, and the location he is going to, that TSA will not be the agency that would be handling baggage security. As such, he would be well advised to week out regulations posted by those respective agencies that will be handling security on his trip.

Thanks for the advice. I have an old hard-shell suitcase that's very durable and about the same size as my mesh gear bag. I think I'll pack everything in that and maybe use a few extra towels for padding.

Re: Why I can't carry-on scuba gear. I travel with a laptop, which is far more delicate and important than scuba gear. I don't have enough room to carry both a laptop and regulators, so the regs have to be packed, along with all the other scuba gear.

Re: TSA. My first big dive trip will be from Kuwait City to Cairo, then overland to Dahab. But I'll travel to the US later this year. So I'll deal with TSA at some point.

Back
Top Bottom