PADI advanced in northern VA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novasquid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
can anyone recommend a shop that teaches PADI advanced? i have my PADI open water with VA Scuba, but they no longer offer PADI courses. my goal in getting the advanced cert is so that I can get the SDI solo cert afterward.

can anyone recommend a shop that teaches PADI advanced? i have my PADI open water with VA Scuba, but they no longer offer PADI courses. my goal in getting the advanced cert is so that I can get the SDI solo cert afterward.
It seems to me you have two obvious choices.
  1. Find a PADI shop that will also teach you the PADI solo course (Self reliant Diver)
  2. Find an SDI shop and to the advanced with them and continue with the SDI solo course.
I googled "scuba lessons manassas virginia" and got a large number of hits. I cannot speak for the quality of any of them.

I would suggest Atlantic Edge. I have no affiliation with the shop, but met one of their instructors last weekend at our local quarry. After chatting with him a bit, he certainly seemed to be the kind of person I would like to train with. He was knowledgeable and laid back. They are in Gaithersburg, MD, so not too far from you.

Coral Edge Adventures will do PADI and SDI for you. Depending on where you are in Manassas, they likely aren't that far from you either.

I have heard good things about Coral Edge Adventures ,but I have not trained with them. I visited five dive shops in NOVA recently looking for gear & CEA had more gear than the other 4 shops combined. I hear they also have access to their own quarry nearby. That's about all I can add.

I have heard good things about Coral Edge Adventures ,but I have not trained with them. I visited five dive shops in NOVA recently looking for gear & CEA had more gear than the other 4 shops combined. I hear they also have access to their own quarry nearby. That's about all I can add.

I can add a little on top of that. I have trained with them and was pleased with the training I received, both in the classroom and in the water. Did my OW and two certs with them. And yes, they operate Millbrook Quarry - not the best dive spot on the east coast, but it's really the only thing divable between Hydes Quarry in MD and Lake Phoenix south of Richmond. For someone in Manassas that's a big plus.

Millbrook Quarry does serve it's purpose and is great for refreshing your skills or
taking continuing education courses . Why don't you try a long weekend to the
Florida Keys and try diving here . The visibility is far better and the marine life
will blow you away in comparison to the quarry .

Sea Dwellers
www.seadwellers.com

I emailed Coral Edge Adventures a few weeks ago and never got a reply. I guess I'll give then a call to get more info.

Back
Top Bottom