PADI Divemaster and Instructor Slates. A moan from Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deleting anything from the agency slates can be a really bad idea, if they ever end up as evidence...
Has this ever happened? I mean, has any prosecution ever asked for the teaching slates as evidence in a negligence case against an instructor? Seems rather far-fetched to me given that standards only recommend their use but do not require them.

Deleting anything from the agency slates can be a really bad idea, if they ever end up as evidence...

Why? My older slates states "making an ahhh sound". The current slate states "making a continuous sound". Nothing wrong with the delete and change.

I have been with PADI as a professional for nearly 9 years. I pay my fees every year have taught over 600 certifications.

I am starting to think just whom and what makes the money for PADI.

I have a box in my house that is absolutely full of expensive redundant training slates.

When I started there were 16 skills on the PADI Open water Slates. I then bought slates with 18 then 20 and finally 24!!!
Never mind all the Divemaster, Rescue and IDC slates that are also in the box.

We get a free digital update every year for the PADI Instructor Manual.
Small potatoes - what about a slate replacement system?!

The problem is further exacerbated if you live in a country where the Dive wholesalers have paid import duty on such training materials.
New stuff is not rolled out until the old stuff is sold to the unsuspecting/unknowing.

Slates cost a fortune and if Instructors start to make their own then PADI only have themselves to blame!!

Thailand!
Gee you'd think you'd buy fake ones living in Patts!
get smart about this!
You could make some side money too, sell them off to students that don't have a clue!

I feel that the PADI slates have too much information on them to be effective for use in the pool sessions or open water dives. I'm not going to sit there and read everything on them and pick out what I'm going to say to the students.

That being said, I use the information from the revised instructor manual to make my own slates. As long as I cover all the standards set forth by PADI, I don't worry about lawsuits or evidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom