PADI divemaster requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect that, in the ensuing 11 years, the OP has resolved whatever questions he had about going on in his training :)

Geez. It happened again. I revived a few threads when I first joined, not knowing any better ("social media, uhh, what's that"?). I caught a bit of grief for that.

Divemaster will not be an easy class and will require you not only to learn but also demonstrate that you have learned. If your just into taking classes why not just take classes, collect the cards and become a Master Diver. It will be alot easer than the Divemaster class, quicker and probly alot cheaper. If you just want to be a better diver check into a class design towards extended range Padi Dsat, Adv Nitrox etc..(Read as: will hold you to a higher standard in basic skills not mention the advanced diving such as deeper and longer BT etc.etc..).

Since you are into the Law you might also want to think about the liability issue that you may incure by being a dive professional and if that could impact you next time you go diving and there is an emergency.

FYI, just food for thought. I'm glad to hear that you have an interest in learning more. Your ponderance in learning might change my view of you in a positive way.

The OP hasn't said he wants to be a professional - he said he wants to do the Divemaster course. Being qualified as a DM and working as one are not the same, and the liability issues are no different than they would be for any diver if you were not working as one.

The OP hasn't said he wants to be a professional - he said he wants to do the Divemaster course. Being qualified as a DM and working as one are not the same, and the liability issues are no different than they would be for any diver if you were not working as one.

Are you sure? Over the years on SB many agree with you, many disagree, and many like me are unsure. Lawyers have posted that liability and the ability to successfully sue a "non working at the moment" DM depends on a lot of things.

Are you sure? Over the years on SB many agree with you, many disagree, and many like me are unsure. Lawyers have posted that liability and the ability to successfully sue a "non working at the moment" DM depends on a lot of things.

To successfully claim negligence, there are three requirements; somebody must owe a duty of care, they must fail in that duty of care, that failure causes an injury or loss. A trained DM owes no greater duty of care to his buddy or anybody around him than any other trained diver. I think these myths come about from people these days being s**t-scared of lawyers (either that or insurers spread them to sell policies :wink:).

Well, Canada and the UK are different places than the U.S. when it comes to lawsuits. No need to get into a big discussion here, but there have also been posts regarding NON PRO buddys and their responsibilities to one another when stuff has been agreed to. I don't know if I'd use the word "myths", but since neither of us are lawyers.....

Well, Canada and the UK are different places than the U.S. when it comes to lawsuits. No need to get into a big discussion here, but there have also been posts regarding NON PRO buddys and their responsibilities to one another when stuff has been agreed to. I don't know if I'd use the word "myths", but since neither of us are lawyers.....

I am not a lawyer, but I have studied tort law enough to understand the concept of negligence. Also, I work in loss adjusting, so establishing negligence is a big part of my job. The three requirements I stated in my previous post apply in most legal systems, including the UK, USA and Canada. Anybody can cause a loss or injury to another party due to negligence, so we can all be liable irrespective of what diving certifications we hold.

With any business that provides a service to members of the public, having liability insurance makes good sense and is a legal requirement in most cases. Being an active DM, you could be taking novices on DSDs, setting up rental equipment, looking after students while assisting on courses, and teaching certain courses. All of those are situations may involve having to look out for the safety of those that cannot do so fully themselves.

I dive with instructors and DMs all the time and not a single one of them has liability insurance. The owner of the dive school has a policy that covers anybody he employs to teach or assist on courses, but if they are out diving for pleasure, they are not covered. When they do so, they are always diving with qualified divers who are responsible for their own safety.

Back
Top Bottom