PADI DM course physics summary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the trouble is you dont know what questions are going to be asked! 2nd guessing is silly! i did my Physio exam 2nite, passed with 95%! only because i inwardly digested and also in no small part to the fact that my dive shop owner gives lectures in such a way, even i get it! just read it, if theres something your not quite sure about, delve until you are sure.

I studied all the stuff. Memorized formulas, wrote out problems, internalized the whole works. Knew the workbook back and forth, all the facts in the back of the workbook, etc. I did that for over 7 months maybe 15-30 mins. a day, more at first. Everyone learns differently. I know that as a former school teacher of many years. Some can read something and digest it immediately, even to the point of those with photographic memories. I'm the opposite. Memorize, memorize, digest, memorize. I aced the 8 tests in one day. Do whatever you have to to learn the stuff. And keep in mind that DM requires a huge knowledge base. I hope to finish up soon with the pool skills. I can't say from experience, but I'll bet that you'll use about 20% of what you learned in the course when actually DMing. It's a lot of knowledge explaining that there are reasons why one should take everything one learned in OW class seriously. And, this knowledge I'm sure allows one to answer "why" questions from students. I actually used maybe 20% of the knowledge I received in 6 years of college when I was out teaching Band for 20 years. But it was nice to have that large knowledge base. And like the DM stuff, much of that information was quite interesting as well.

Is there anyone out there who will summarize exactly what parts of the rec diving encycl physics and physiology are most important to study for testing purposes?

Surely all of this stuff won't be on the test.

It took me awhile to realize that PADI takes so much space in their books to explain such a small thing.
Kinda like," To make a short story long".

It'd be nice if they just summarized it, like....."sounds travels faster and farther in water".....done.

ok but on the test the question will be more of the short story long version. Padi asks the questions the way they are written in the books. it is really more reading comprehension than learning.
here is your summary.
for physics convert to ATM.
for physiology, it is a round window.
for equipment steel is heavier but thinner.
for that other stuff, read the books.:D

for physics convert to ATM.

I'm not going to weigh in on the overall discussion, but I would say that in general you will want to be doing a lot more math in ATA than ATM. Trying to work in ATM is a good way to confuse yourself. I've seen some very smart people become very perplexed when they suddenly find themselves needing to do something with "zero atmospheres", or thinking that the pressure difference between 33' and 66' is 2x, as opposed to 1.5x.

Personally I find the Encyclopedia to be horribly written and edited. The layout is amateurish at best. The over-all quality is simply exceptionally
poor. Which makes it on par with most all other PADI materials.

Yeah, I read the OP as wanting exactly what I wanted out of physics and math textbooks in college. Don't just turn a firehose on the reader, but use the technique that everyone should have learned in junior high to state what you're going to say in a topic paragraph, say it, and then summarize what you just said.

I had an Applied Math prof who was great at this. He'd up front tell you what the next set of lectures would cover: where we'd start, what we'd end up, what it could be applied to and then a bit of the history. Then he'd go through all the nasty derivations, but clearly box the major results that we'd use. Then we'd go through and apply the results to problems. The descriptive process that he used made learning everything much easier.

And it read to me like the OP was looking for a summary so that he could have the equivalent of a "topic paragraph" in his head to orient himself against when he read through the details in the manual. That isn't cheating, that is simply how the manual should have been written in the first place -- according to every junior high English teacher out there.

A suggestion: A list from PADI (not from an individual instructor) verbally and pictorially describing exactly how a DM should demonstrate the 20 skills? The OW manual is very good on that point. Skills are the meat & potatoes of being a DM.

Back
Top Bottom