PADI DM course physics summary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not even sure who's asking what after all that, but this:

Is there anyone out there who will summarize exactly what parts of the rec diving encycl physics and physiology are most important to study for testing purposes? Surely all of this stuff won't be on the test

..doesn't sound like this:

Not looking to NOT LEARN the material

to me

:confused:

The whole idea of studying with the sole goal of passing the test is the wrong mindset. Study to know all of the material because as JR said a divemaster or instructor is subject to random retesting at any time by their students.

Amen to this, and students always seem to know what you might be weak on, and those are the questions they ask. Learn as much as you can, practice, then we you think you got it down, practice some more.

I found that it is actually easier to provide students with analogies if I have a broad scope of understanding as to what topic you wish to aim the analogy at.

I tried to not memorize the material, but internalize the material. If I could apply the information to scenarios it helped retain the information. There are right answers, and then there are the best right answers. Knowing as much as you can about the physics and physiology of diving will only make you a better DM. I also really tried to understand the different theories ie: Dalton, Boyle, Chuck and Hank.

As an effective DM you should be able to explain all those things as many students will find it intimadating to ask the Instructor sometimes. Best to be prepared regardless. Also, keep up on it as it is easy to let the knowledge lapse if you are not constantly using it.

To the OP Naplestreasures.
- Use the Diving Knowledge workbook - it is required material anyway, but also an excellent study guid
- It explains what you need to do, and directs you to the relevant chapters in the Encyclopaedia
- Answer the relevant questions on that section and use the answer key; it explains everything in detail and for physics, often explains why the wrong answers are wrong
- Yes you should really learn all this stuff but I've taught a lot of Divemasters; everyone from a real proper rocket scientist (now works for Nasa) and people who left school at age 14. It's not easy for everybody
- I would encourage you to read every last page of the encyclopaedia in your spare time. It's a brilliant publication
- Good luck to you. If you need help please feel free to PM me.

Cheers,

Crowley

Naplestreasures: I asked some questions about wreck penetration and got slammed a bit. Those who knew way more than me figured I was just a newbie looking for quick answers on SB. I have the Encyclopedia of Rec. Diving and I can see why you ask those questions. When I said that I was just asking questions and probably would never penetrate a wreck I was pegged as a dope who would die. Saying that I was an experienced PADI MSD just seemed to get folks upset with me more. Keep on asking.

my concern if you were my dive master revolves around your ability to do the right thing underwater... (although, i'm not an instructor though)

Personally I find the Encyclopedia to be horribly written and edited. The layout is amateurish at best. The over-all quality is simply exceptionally poor. Which makes it on par with most all other PADI materials.

I found the best way to study this material was to read, re-read, and re-re-read the analogous material from the NOAA dive manual and the book Basic Diving Physics And Application

Is there anyone out there who will summarize exactly what parts of the rec diving encycl physics and physiology are most important to study for testing purposes?

Surely all of this stuff won't be on the test.

It took me awhile to realize that PADI takes so much space in their books to explain such a small thing.
Kinda like," To make a short story long".

It'd be nice if they just summarized it, like....."sounds travels faster and farther in water".....done.

Ok I can see why this deserves a little bashing, but comeon, he didn't ask for anything too specific. I'm a DMIT and it seems like just about any question asked about the dm exams, no matter how general, always get torn to pieces. I think MOST of us really want to learn everything that a great dm should know, and the fact that we're on here asking questions (rather than sitting at home doing nothing) is usually a good thing.

So where can i find the answers to all the exams? :eyebrow: :rofl3:

Naples here's what i do. As somebody pointed out the dm manual and encyclopedia aren't laid out as well as they could be; i create a "reference frame outline/summary" on paper for each exam, then study the hell out of it. Worked well for school, and so far it's worked for the three exams I've taken. For a pretty easy example, take the dm conducted programs. Here's a partial sample of my study guide reference frame outline/summary thing:

DM Conducted Programs
-Scuba Review
-Can I conduct this program without an instructor: "Answer here"
-Ratio of students to dm/instructor: "Answer here"
-Certified assistant/insurance required: "Answer here"
-Special considerations: "Answer here"
-Discover Scuba
-Can I conduct this program without an instructor: "Answer here"
-Ratio of students to dm/instructor: "Answer here"
-Certified assistant/insurance required: "Answer here"
-Special considerations: "Answer here"

Easy example, obviously the real thing has more subheadings and levels of subheadings. Oh and I noticed a few people mentioned dm's should not "memorize" but rather "internalize" dive information...I agree if a student or any diver asks a dm what the risks of fast ascents are the dm should be able to work through and explain all facets of DCI, but there IS a lot of memorization involved in diving: 60 ft/min, 15ft for 3 min (ok, easy one), BWRAF, etc etc

Hope that helps naples

Back
Top Bottom