PADI DM Online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teller

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am going to be over seas for a while and was thinking about doing the portion of the DM program that PADI offer online while im gone and then finishing up the rest when I get back. Does anyone have any info/opinions about the online program. Will it help me complete the coarse and faster? The shop I will probaly do the coarse trough is about an hour away from my house and I would like to save myself a few trips.

It will be quicker because you can get the classroom portion finished while gone. You will get more dive theory online than what is going to be taught in the new program. The nice thing is if you take the theory online you do not have to take that portion of the final exam. I know many people question PADI's online learning, but I have had good luck with the online for OW. Talk with your shop and get a plan in place. If you chose to go that route, I would be interested in knowing how it works for you.

The new DM online course looks great and it seems like it would be a reasonable fit based on your travel concerns. Not sure if I'd necessarily say faster, but more flexible with your schedule. Keep us posted!

I'm also interested in hearing your experiences.

The trouble with doing an on-line course is that you won't get any manuals to keep for yourself (I haven't studied the course so I'm assuming it follows the same model as the OW course). But you really do need an instructor manual and encyclopedia of recreational diving, as well as the more specific DM texts. If you don't get these with the on-line course then I'd say it's likely to be pretty expensive and poor value for money.

The way the shop I'm doing mine with presented it, it was an extra thing you could do. You still bought the crew pack with the book. If you wanted to do extra study online, that was OK. Maybe I misundertood or they were trying to sell me extra stuff......

they're in a crossover period now, so perhaps you didn't. you also need to get the PADI DM coursepack no matter what.... I would suggest that if all schools move over to DM e-learning the price of the DM course will NOT go down, shops just won't have to pay instructors to talk about physics and dive businesses anymore.

i did it in the class, although if i hadn't of completed the workbook and all the manuals i would have failed most of the exams, the class was really a refinement of the book to prepare us for the exam. we were expected (and did) complete all the book theory before arriving to the course.

Back
Top Bottom