PADI Dry Suit Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sure isn't the same 10 minute pool drill watched someone get.

Was this a paid class or complimentary with the purchase of a suit?
Pete
Thanks guys :)
.. I feel I've accomplished something whenever I pass one of Ian's courses

It was a paid for course .. normally $150, not including book or PIC card ... I payed a bit less, plus the boat dive would have been $75 but I had a two-4-one coupon from Anita on the Marissa ... Marissa Dive Charters, San Diego :D

Last edited:
Much more through than my drysuit intro. I just wish people would stop teaching students to use the DS for buoyancy.

DB, Good job and thank's for the complete report.

I love diving in my DS (despite having a pinhole in one foot, now fixed) and I'm sure you will too. Take heart in knowing that after a dozen or so more dives, it will become second nature.

Much more through than my drysuit intro. I just wish people would stop teaching students to use the DS for buoyancy.
Anything as to why you wish that ?

.. I can think of reasons for each method

Last edited:
Anything as to why you wish that ?

.. I can think of reasons for each method

I, too, was tempted to ask, since I can also see benefits of each method, but, unfathomably, this area has been adopted by some as one of those critical hot-button topics like snorkels, with a good diver/bad diver distinction. :wink:

Dave C

with a good diver/bad diver distinction.
What? You didn't get the memo? If you don't do the same thing that someone else does, have the same gear that they do, and/or believe the same thing that they do, you're a bad, bad, bad diver! And if you don't have at least 500 dives, there is no way you can possibly know anything about diving, and how dare you even consider having an opinion about something. No tank for you!

I wish to have this thread stay on topic ... I know, that's funny right there :laughing:
Because .. I want to know ... I want reasons why someone thinks what they do ... Just making a statement like "I wish they would stop" doing something , really needs an explanation of your reasons why you think that.

thanks guys
DB

An option for teaching using the wing for inflation in a drysuit would be an improvement on the current system where a student progressing toward doubles has to promptly forget the approach taught in class and learn to use the wing exclusively on his/her own.

Why waste the classtime & money only to have to unlearn it?

An option for teaching using the wing for inflation in a drysuit would be an improvement on the current system where a student progressing toward doubles has to promptly forget the approach taught in class and learn to use the wing exclusively on his/her own.

Why waste the classtime & money only to have to unlearn it?

I agree totally. However at this time, the standards for recreational diving are to use the D/S for buoyancy and the BCD on the surface only. The reason as stated before is that the diver only has to monitor one piece of equipment, especially when ascending. The subject of keeping just enough air in the suit to stay warm and comfortable while using the BCD for buoyancy has been asked of the agencies many times. Personally I believe it is a very valid question and one that needs to be addressed. However at least for now, the agencies are keeping to these standards. It's almost the same as teaching to donate a long hose octopus while keeping your primary in your mouth to buddy breath, yet when going to Technical Classes, you are taught to donate your long hose primary - just the opposite of what is generally learned in recreational classes. It doesn't make much sense on either of these, but for now the instructors must teach per the standards of their agencies.
Take Care,
George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom