PADI gave member info to US Government

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
The only thing that PADI or any dive shop could have done would have been to insist that the FBI get a court order which they were willing to do and actually did in at least one case.

The fun part was that in the case of most shops the only way to produce a list of divers who didn't complete training is a manual page by page search of records which was very time consuming. It's not like they pay you for all those hours you spend doing it either.

You could give it to them on disk in MAC format, that would slow them down.

The thing I don't think they should have is the phone records, medical history and credit card invoices and things like that, which I'm sure they can get with a few clicks if they want.

I don't think that they should have our medical waiver data either, but unless I'm mistaken PADI doesn't see those.

TT :ignore:

scubasean:
You think you have privacy?

Anyone with $15 can have your entire personal history, if they lie to a private investigator...

So true, how funny...................

scubasean:
You think you have privacy?

Anyone with $15 can have your entire personal history, if they lie to a private investigator...
Or knows how to get on autotrack.

There is no expressed right to privacy in the U.S. Constitution; only implied, and that is subject to many interpretations and contingencies. Besides, the FBI knows more than we believe they do, and if they want to pay my salary, plus all my diving to go and search for bombs on bridges, or the like, I'm game!

TwoTanks:
I don't think that they should have our medical waiver data either, but unless I'm mistaken PADI doesn't see those.

TT :ignore:

No. PADI doesn't see those. The FBI sisn't ask for them either. I'd have to check with my wife, because she handled the whole thing, but I think all they asked for was name and address.

Did PADI proclaim this was to be done in advance ? They should have. Then the individual could let them know their feelings and perhaps the FBI as well. If the terrorists have their way, your worries about privacy laws will be over.

fastfishh:
Did PADI proclaim this was to be done in advance ? They should have. Then the individual could let them know their feelings and perhaps the FBI as well. If the terrorists have their way, your worries about privacy laws will be over.

There is no realistic way to notify each PADI customer in a timely fashiion and give those customers a chance to respond, total up those opinions, formulate a policy, and then execute that policy...You are talking about something that probably happened over a matter of days, not months...

Worries over privacy will never be over....but they are already moot, given the existence of the internet.

With your name and any address that you have ever paid a electric bill at in the last 15 years, I can make a few clicks of a mouse and get your SS#, Unlisted phone #, unpaid bills, complete credit history, criminal history all of the other addresses you have lived at and anyone that lived with you (then I could do the same with them) :11:

I do not even work in the collections or law inforcement industry. So imagine what the FBI could get anyways with or without our approval.

Of course this cost me $400 per month to have access, but the point is it will always be "LESS PRIVACY THAN YOU THOUGHT"

An FBI special agent came to my home shortly after 9/11. We had a very pleasant discussion about what they wanted. None of my students or former students met the profiles and they never asked to see my student records. A couple of weeks later, I received a notice from YSCUBA to require a warrent before releasing any student records to the FBI. I agree with that stand.

I don't see this as much as a privacy issue as an issue of requiring law enforcement to follow the rules. Proceedures have been established to allow law enforcement officials to investigate crimes while protecting citizens from abuses.

Walter:
An FBI special agent came to my home shortly after 9/11. We had a very pleasant discussion about what they wanted. None of my students or former students met the profiles and they never asked to see my student records. A couple of weeks later, I received a notice from YSCUBA to require a warrent before releasing any student records to the FBI. I agree with that stand.

I don't see this as much as a privacy issue as an issue of requiring law enforcement to follow the rules. Proceedures have been established to allow law enforcement officials to investigate crimes while protecting citizens from abuses.

That subject came up with the FBI. They were more than willing to produce a court order if we insisted. I didn't make them because when you own a dive shop you need all the freinds you can get and certainly no more enemies. LOL

They didn't really ask us to release any records and they didn't ask to search our records. They only asked for a list of people who had not completed training.

That subject came up with the FBI. They were more than willing to produce a court order if we insisted.

Sometimes this is a ploy. If they're willing to produce a court order, I'm willing to produce the records specified in the order. Requiring law enforcement to follow the law is not making enemies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom