PADI Instructor or NAUI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neil:
the LA County program is superb, very similar to NAUI's, but I think it puts you in a bit of a marketing hole.
But even in that hole you'll stand taller than most Instructors.:D

Put Another Dollar In moniker by PADI members is not just a catchy slogan. From brand new Dive Master (your first dollars given to PADI by being a member) to a higher up level of Instructor you'll be paying for steps, many steps along the way. Try to do a matrix of cost to become a level of instructor, specialties, cpr/first aid etc. of one agency over the others. That 1000.00 number is nothing when compared to what instructors pay to have advanced teaching credentials from one agency over another.

Money is important, and to be fair, how much are you expecting back? You didn't elaborate on why "making the leap" and that may be more important than money.

Lots of instructors get more out of turning people on to diving than the dollar reward. There's legions of us out here happy to break even on expenses, keeping the day job and having a ball.

PADI does have a substantial market share has a result of massive marketing in the states, and the island destinations. From a refferel point of view, that's important. If most of the students you work with utilize you from start to finish, it's not important. From the first c-card on, switching from one agency to the other isn't really a big deal...they all want our money!

Should you follow through and become an Instructor, welcome aboard! Making land lubbers into water people on our water planet is a noble calling...

Hoa!

Are you planning to teach "independent" or with a shop? Openwater or mostly advanced/specialty?

I think NAUI is more set up for "independent" instruction, BUT, without shop support, you're probably looking at advanced/specialty instruction. On the GOOD side, the new NAUI specialty/tec stuff really looks good...

Good Luck!

In my ventures I found a Dive store that I liked and went with their program…. As I am in the market of making happy faces and not that concerned about the certifying agency. If your only looking to teach as an independent then surely knowing what I know now I would have gone with NAUI

Thanks for the input.

I will be going with NAUI as it seems to suit me best. I have the option to cross over at a later date.

Making money at this endeavor is not my objective, it is more about sharing my interest and passion for the sport and building conscientious dive buddies.

I went with PADI and have never looked back. In my area, there is a much higher demand for PADI certs., and PADI is more recognized worldwide. I am a highly "structured" type of person, PADI believes in structure, and a high level of structure is very beneficial if I ever end up in court one day.

I still believe the quality of education a student gets depends on the instructor, regardless of the certification agency. My courses are very rigorous, and my students thank me for that afterwards. By the way, I am an independent instructor.

realdiver7:
I went with PADI and have never looked back. In my area, there is a much higher demand for PADI certs., and PADI is more recognized worldwide. I am a highly "structured" type of person, PADI believes in structure, and a high level of structure is very beneficial if I ever end up in court one day.

I still believe the quality of education a student gets depends on the instructor, regardless of the certification agency. My courses are very rigorous, and my students thank me for that afterwards. By the way, I am an independent instructor.
Most diving Instructors are "Highly Structured." You have to be. But my stucture so little resembles PADI's that I could not ethically exist inside theirs.

Neail,
I'm a PADI DM also. I'm about halfway through my NAUI ITC and I don't regret my decision to change to NAUI. NAUI simply expects more from it's OW students and gives their instructors the freedom to teach the class in a manner that will make competent divers out of raw student divers. :palmtree: Bob

The big question.... and one I did not ask prior to choosing is this.... "Where do you Want to Work as an Instructor?" Take a look at the area and see what the dive shops subscribe to, PADI or NAUI. I chose to become a NAUI Instructor but didn't research enough (because I never really thought about it) to discover there are NO NAUI shops where I moved (Roatan) and my cert is pretty much useless except for freelancing on my own. I'm going to have to crossover to PADI if I want to work for a shop here. So..... think long-term before you decide.

Jason
The Dive Masters

So..... think long-term before you decide.

Is the five and half years since the original post long enough... or should the OP keep waiting?

:d

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom