PADI Master Diver Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Debraw:
LOL Amascuba, welcome to the "dark side" ! :pftroest:

lol the little head petting icon made me laugh, but then I stopped and thought about it. My laugh sounded like a typical "evil laugh".

Debraw:
I totally agree, it's personal achievement, not just a card.

It's the biggest achievement of my diving career, so far... :D

PADI's "Master Diver" certification is 100% marketing. While there may (depending on which specialties you choose and the quality of your instructor) be value in the individual specialties, there is no value to the PADI MD card. If you just want to call yourself a "master diver," it's the easiest route to go. I get the impression, that's not your goal. If you're truely looking to advance your education, take the YMCA Silver Advanced class (not their AOW, it's no better than PADI's) and their SLAM (SCUBA Lifesaving and Accident Management) followed by NAUI's Master Diver course. These classes will expand your knowledge and experience even though you already have over 100 logged dives.

Walter:
PADI's "Master Diver" certification is 100% marketing. While there may (depending on which specialties you choose and the quality of your instructor) be value in the individual specialties, there is no value to the PADI MD card. If you just want to call yourself a "master diver," it's the easiest route to go. I get the impression, that's not your goal. If you're truely looking to advance your education, take the YMCA Silver Advanced class (not their AOW, it's no better than PADI's) and their SLAM (SCUBA Lifesaving and Accident Management) followed by NAUI's Master Diver course. These classes will expand your knowledge and experience even though you already have over 100 logged dives.

???? Walter... is the YMCA programs pretty avlb. in your area....I know 'years' ago in the DFW Tx locale YMCA had a number of scuba instruction site/instrc.,,,now it is hard to find one.....just curious.

Yes there is value in a PADI MSD card. It combines all your training into one card and there is no mistaking it when you hit a dive boat that you have acheived the highest level on the recreational side that you can go with PADI. You can reduce this to a PADI VS- any other training agency bashing thread if you want to, but please don't. He specifically asked about PADI Master Scuba Diving Certification classes.

Debra, value is very personal. If you find value in buying a card that says nothing that isn't already contained in your other cards and logbook, good for you. I find no value in it at all. I find value in quality classes, regardless of where they are taught or by whom. PADI's Master Diver certification is not a class, therefore I find no value in it. Someone who has qualified for the PADI MD card but who elected not to purchase it has also achieved the highest level on the recreational side they can go with PADI. If they chose their speciality courses with care, there is value (as I define value) in those. Other agencies also have specialty courses that are worthless, this is not a PADI monopoly. Toss a YMCA AOW class in a sack with a PADI AOW class, shake 'em up and it doesn't matter which one falls out first, they are almost indistinguishable from each other. There are better (by better, I mean classes where a student can learn more) alternates. Even if you are a diehard PADI supporter, you've already admitted there's nothing more (on the recreational side) PADI has to offer, you've reached the pinnacle. Just because PADI has nothing more to offer, doesn't mean there isn't more available.

In advanced classes, LA County's Advanced Diver Program is the cream of the crop, followed by YMCA's Silver Advanced. Beyond that there are even more advanced classes, such as YMCA's Gold Master Diver and NAUI's Master Diver Program. YMCA's Gold Master Diver is more physically challencing and is an excellent class, but I think NAUI's Master Diver class has the better academics. Should this be ignored? Is pointing this out really bashing PADI? I don't believe so. The man is obviously looking to further his dive education. While the PADI MD card may be a carrot for some to take various specialties that can help with this goal, the card itself is not the direct result of a class that helps him with his education.

Texdiveguy, you can find Texas Y Instructors here.

Ok Walter you win, there is no changing a mind once it is made up. :mooner: . It takes two to fight and I just quit.

I would have better feelings about PADI Master Diver if only the more serious specialties could be applied to it and not the fluffier ones. (I think AOW would be a little better if the same applied there.) It might also be good if certain specialties were required for MD unless someone showed they had already developed some sort of proficiency in the area. Certainly someone can learn a lot by completing MD - the problem is that past Rescue there's nothing that says they have to. If you tried you could get 5 specialties without ever getting in the water again.

Some choice makes sense to account for different interests, needs, and regional differences. But as it stands all MD cards do not mean the same thing. They don't mean any highest level was achieved because it's undefined. Two people could make completely different choices and have achieved completely different things. There's nothing wrong with taking the other specialties, if someone is interested have at it - IMO they just don't belong as part of AOW or MD.

Debraw:
Ok Walter you win, there is no changing a mind once it is made up. :mooner: . It takes two to fight and I just quit.

I love a good debate but I hate this kind of response... it's saying that you're not going to refute his arguments but you're not going to concede the point either. If you just wanted to quit then why did you even bother to post this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom