PADI Open Water Course ON SIDEMOUNT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to ask -- what is the lure of a sidemount setup for a single tank? I have dived that way, and I didn't like it very much. You are inevitably off-balance, and although I've got enough experience to compensate for that, new divers don't. Monkey diving is another story, because the scooter gives you your stability, but swimming? And I sure wouldn't put a new diver in a double tank setup, sidemount or otherwise.

I have to disagree. Single tank side mount does not make you inevitably off balance. I dive single tank side mount all the time. Probably 75-100 dives like that now. Balance is not an issue when using aluminum tanks. I will not comment on steel because it is a different story and does make you off balance. I find single tanking an al80 to be an extremely easy and effective way to dive. I would see no problem with bringing a new OW diver in to the sport in this set up.

Hey Lynne, checkout "why UTD is so different" on YouTube (I'm on my iPad and can't link), really interesting video of new open water, sidemount student, on scooter.

Sounds like a GREAT idea.

These more 'advanced' styles of diving (to include GUE to some degree, for that matter) give people the in-water ability to get into situations way over their head (BTDT). Now we're giving people straight out of OW class who are brand new scooters and sidemount...for what?

Too fast, too soon, without the requisite experience to back it all up. But hey, anything to make a buck.

I don't see why they wouldn't be. Whilst OW can be done on sidemount, you need to add some elements to qualify them as 'Sidemount Diver' also (courses can be con-current, but full SM qualification required extra dives and knowledge review).

Not sure of the 'difference' between an OW diver trained on sidemount..and a sidemount diver... I guess the big issue is having a 'card' to show sidemount training, rather than just log-book entries to show what configuration they trained in.

It seems to me like there's a little bit of a trendy-fad aspect to it, which is probably a good reason for PADI to embrace it. Certainly a good move from a marketing perspective.
I've had guys around here there are on the list for upcoming Open water classes on base asking me about side mount, because they think it's cool.

To be honest, I've never paid much attention to it other than the threads I've seen on this forum.

What I've heard/read about so far about sidemount is:

1.) That it's for the small fraction of cave divers that actually need to go through tight restrictions.
2.) It's been adopted by those that cite bad backs and knees as having advantages.
3.) It's another form of diving independent doubles, so it appeals to those that don't want to deal with the expense of buying manifolds, bands, and tanks. or those that travel to places where doubles aren't available.
4.) For everyone else that the above catagories don't apply to....they think it's cool.

PADI is marketing to catagory 4? I think?
I haven't actually seen one being used, but I'm sure as it evolves and get's more standardized that will change.

I guess for those interested in adopting sidemount, it's a good thing PADI will start teaching it. Someone new to it won't have to go through the learning curve all you sidemount divers have went through.
the growing pain of working out hose lenghts, rigging tanks, and just the general rig adjustments have already been worked out.
So overall......it's probably a good think.

The fact is, there are some new divers that want to get into sidemount right away, for various reasons. It's certainly good for them if they can be taught in that equipment configuration early on.
There are many paths.....it's good for interested divers if they can get started that way and not have to buy gear......and then later on have to buy sidemount gear.

I know some guys around here that would love to do their OW class in side mount gear......to each their own.

Where it'll get F'ed up is if a bunch a PADI instructors that only have experience in poodle jackets, immediately jump on the band wagon and start "teaching" it.
Hopefully it'll only be the "real deal" sidemount divers that end up teaching it.

It sounds like it could end up being a good thing, depending on who actually teaches it......it could also become the next PADI joke.

I'm trying to be optimistic....I hope it ends up going in a good direction for the side mount and aspiring side mount divers out there.

-Mitch

Where it'll get F'ed up is if a bunch a PADI instructors that only have experience in poodle jackets, immediately jump on the band wagon and start "teaching" it.
Hopefully it'll only be the "real deal" sidemount divers that end up teaching it.

You say that like you believe there's any chance it won't happen. LOL

2-day Sidemount Diver course + 2-day Instructor Speciality Course.. bang! Sidemount instructors everywhere...8 dives experience. :(

Yes... it's true.

Latest PADI Training Bulletin states that sidemount config (single or double tank) is acceptable for OW classes (assuming instructor is suitably qualified to teach sidemount).

PADI Training Bulletin - Third Quarter 2012

Thoughts? Reactions?

PADI has learned their past lessons,and become the masters of marketing. When nitrox was a voo doo gas and rejected at that DEMA,they missed the boat,where IANTD really profited. Sidemount is the next marketing boom for the scuba industry. What do you do when people already have equipment and certs,but don't care to advance to technical diving or CCR? Sidemount is the holy land,because it will help these people part with their money. Adding sidemount to OW means that you have to develop all programs to accomdate from rescue to OWSI. I am not saying this is a bad thing,but people used to make fun of enriched air overhead,enriched air wreck,enriched air dpv courses,we are seeing the same thing occur. Can I sign up for sidemount boxer shorts or sidemount tightey whitey ?

I'm curious. How do people who have never dived before even know what "sidemount" is? I'm not a dive professional, but I have to believe most people who walk in the door of a dive shop to sign up for OW have no familiarity with dive gear whatsoever. Of course, I understand that sidemount OW class would probably remain an oddity--an option for those few people who DO somehow have prior familiarity with sidemount gear (for example, maybe their friend or significant other is an experienced sidemount diver).

This reminds me of when I was contemplating learning to dive, and a diver I ran into urged me to not only sign up for OW but to also take a Nitrox class because it will give me "more bottom time." I couldn't have even appreciated what Nitrox or "bottom time" was until I had taken OW, planned and completed a few dives, and acquired some baseline understanding/feeling. Can a diver really appreciate the benefits of sidemount without ever having dived with anything else?

i have been around divers for about 3 years before i got my OW cert. everyone that i know dives sidemount so i was familiar with it. i did my pool skills in a jacket, did my dives in a bp/w and my sidemount rig will be here tomorrow. i want my setup to be similar to those that i dive with. also one of my future goal is to be cavern certified, so if i can become familiar with the setup long before i do any overhead, its one less thing to cram into my brain all at once. my dive buddy is cavern certified so she will be able to show me the ropes as far as configuration and the dos and donts involved.

"the mind is like a parachute......works best when open"

Lorenzoid makes a good point. I suspect most people walking into a dive shop expect that the tank goes on your back. I could see where side mount would be a good tool for an instructor to have available. My wife struggles with the weight of her gear right now. If her insrtuctor was familiar with side mount, it may have been something that he could have suggested to her.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom