PADI Open Water Course ON SIDEMOUNT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The problem with SM for the average OW diver is not the configuration it's the "Rent-Ability". I'm pretty certain I could put a new OW student in a something like a DiveRite LT or SMS-50 and have them kitted up with two AL40s and get them through OW without so much as a hitch. The problem statement develops more clearly when those students arrive at Sandals or Beaches and expects the rental line to include an SMS-50 custom fitted and four AL40s setup and configured as they learned.

Where I've found SM works as a travel alternative for me is that I use the DiveRite "instant" sidemount bottle kits. I can rig up two 80's in just a few minutes and I'm pretty much ready to roll. However, I own all my own gear. I don't see the average OW student walking in and purchasing essentially double everything just to be out of phase with all the other divers.

That said, if I had that client and s/he had the time and money. We'd make the class meet their wildest dreams.

I see a bit of a hybrid approach as being the most likely for the time being. I can see where I would use a traditional jacket-style BCD setup for the entire certification course and then transitioning them to SM if they had a requirement. However, I get a number of divers who are not as able-bodied for reasons of age, surgery, or war that I've put in dual AL40s and in those circumstances it broadens the sport's reach for people who really can't walk up a ladder with an AL80 and a weight belt.

I think SM is best described as a tool for a situation, so I'll stop short of calling it "trendy" in favor of saying it's "available". I wil acknowledge SM does absolutely drive gear sales.

As Hawkwood said, Why not?

While I would agree that O.W. in full sidemount gear might be too much, I can't come up with any reason why a single tank sidemount wouldn't be just fine. I was with Lynne when she was introduced to single tank SM and did see she had some issues. OTOH, I was also in the pool with a single tank and had no problems -- perhaps how it was set up?

I've also done a bit of "monkey diving" and watched DSDs with the monkey setup. Neither I, nor the DSD people, had problems with just one tank (and yes, scooters were often involved but not always).

I'd like to see people start with "Side mount" single tank, no wing for their first couple of confined water sessions. This lets them immediately understand/feel the breath control they need for neutral buoyancy. Then add the wing AFTER they have instilled the feel of breath control.

Hmmm, now how do I get my "Insta-Side-Mount-Instructor" rating?

So what, exactly, is wrong with a tank in the traditional position? I just don't see a huge advantage to teaching OW in sidemount. And yes, I saw the class to which Peter is referring, where everybody started out monkey diving with no wing . . . but they had scooters.

So what, exactly, is wrong with a tank in the traditional position? I just don't see a huge advantage to teaching OW in sidemount. And yes, I saw the class to which Peter is referring, where everybody started out monkey diving with no wing . . . but they had scooters.

Good question. I work in the technology world and I often see projects get burned becuase of the rush to new technology with out due consideration for 'why' or the problem the new tech is trying to solve.

I think side mount sounds interesting and would liek to try it some day but I am not missing any dives without it.

I have just got my Master Diver card and will start in a few months the Dive Guide course. For this, the school where I assist invites me to participate as internship in the OWD courses. Many of the students have very to none knowledge of any part of the dive gear. Only mask and fins are a little bit familiar. Not even snorkels are known. Many of the students can hardly float. The school is open to people that even do not know to swim.
With this they must be introduced to scuba diving gear, scuba physiology, scuba rules, dive planning, etc. All things have a good technical and physiologic explanation behind, but almost none is given, as there is hardly time to convert that people into OW divers.
Very few at the end of the OWD course have enough knowledge to make by their own a weight check, so, offering them the choice to select from a normal Jacket BCD to side mount or even a BP/W is useless. The vast majority will have no clue of what they are being talk.
In the OWD course, the instructor shows how things are, how things should be done if they want to do the next dive. Following the divers career, the diver will find in the following courses or by proper investigation why things are the way they are, what the choices are, the different configuration options and different gear options.
New students are taught to share air, to interexchange BCD, to abandon gear in the bottom of the pool. All that done with SM ? difficult.
Besides, new students normally rent gear. If they do go on diving (I have no safe figures, but I think that only 15 % or less of the new divers are still diving after the first two years), they will buy it´s own gear.
Renting gear means jacket BCD. Those students that have learned OWD with SM will have no place where to rent, so they will need to buy their gear from the start. If they give up diving, more gear to the second hand market.

Ok, I've got it.

PADI has learned their past lessons,and become the masters of marketing. When nitrox was a voo doo gas and rejected at that DEMA,they missed the boat,where IANTD really profited. Sidemount is the next marketing boom for the scuba industry. What do you do when people already have equipment and certs,but don't care to advance to technical diving or CCR? Sidemount is the holy land,because it will help these people part with their money. Adding sidemount to OW means that you have to develop all programs to accomdate from rescue to OWSI. I am not saying this is a bad thing,but people used to make fun of enriched air overhead,enriched air wreck,enriched air dpv courses,we are seeing the same thing occur. Can I sign up for sidemount boxer shorts or sidemount tightey whitey ?

They might do it in split fins, and then offer a Jet fin upgrade specialty.
Followed by a diving without a snorkle specialty. ;-)

Nothing wrong with teaching with a tank in the traditional position....just like there is no issue teaching it on the side (im assuming all single tank setups) Essentially all the skills are the same.

Its personal preference really, some new divers may find it easier.....really just another market for padi....hell they have specialties for everything else, why not SM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom