PADI or GUE for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a thought. This is recreational diving not Navy Seal training. I greatly respect those who put us old, slightly overweight non-military (not by choice) to shame doing 1,000 pushups in 2 minutes and am forever grateful for those who did risk it all for the protection of your way of life. But the bottom line is that minimum skill levels are set for basic safety standards in conditions consistant with what you are trained in. You shouldn't need to pull a mothballed navy destroyer by your teeth in heavy seas to still enjoy the underwater environment. Further, I contend that anyone who can complete the basic training requiremets will, if nothing else, come away with a deeper respect for our precious and fragile underwater envionment and perhaps think twice before heaving that old 12-vold battery overboard into a lake, stream or ocean next time. That can't be all bad.

As for dive buddies, instant-buddies come in all shapes, sizes and skill levels. As a new diver you might just learn something from any of them (even if it is I hope I never do anything that stupid). Besides, you are not required to accept any instant-buddy but perhaps if you do, you just might save a life with your superior mental and physical skills (not trying to be nasty). You can always request a reassignment if concerned about your partner.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2014 at 12:23 PM ----------

Correction 'OUR' way of life. Reread the message several times and missed this one.

Once I was invited to join the final experience dive for a GUE Rec 1 class. I think the class duration was around 8 days. The skill level that the student emerged with was truly iimpressive.

On his final dive he planned the dive, managed the bottom time, did a very controlled ascent with deep stops, was able to shoot an smb, all while holding nice trim, maintaining solid buoyancy and having good awareness. He knew several kicks including a frog kick, flutter and helicopter, was able to position himself in water as he wished. Eight days before, he had never been in scuba equipment.

It is true that OW class quality varies depending on the instructor, but by 100 dives I personally did not know the word trim, nor even understand that different fining techniques existed.

This introduction to GUE Rec 1 video may be of interest:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom