PADI Patches - Where do you get them and how do you wear them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those who like to look down their nose condescendingly at a diver who simply likes to sport a bunch of patches on his/her dive bag, I suggest the next time you are doing that you take a look around and see who is looking down their nose at you for doing that.

texarkandy:
For those who like to look down their nose condescendingly at a diver who simply likes to sport a bunch of patches on his/her dive bag, I suggest the next time you are doing that you take a look around and see who is looking down their nose at you for doing that.

Excellent post!

Ditto

If you want to wear patches - go for it, and if no one else wants to dive with you, send me a note. I'd be glad to have you along on my next dive trip.

If your having a great time - thats great, and it's important. If your dive skills need some work, well we can work on those. If your skills are better than mine, hey then we can work on mine.

Back to the original question, send me a pm with the patches you are interested in and I will see if I can get them for you

Cheers

Steve

I cant understand why anyone would want to wear PADI patches, personally I'd hide them..................................:wink:

Well, let's see... I have three jackets I wear on dive trips. Only one has any patches on it at all (other than my organization's logo, Christian Divers of Texas). The one with "adornment" has a few PADI patches along with some others. But for me, those little swatches of embroidered cloth aren't for "braggin'", they're just reminders.
The OW patch reminds me of the great fun my brother-in-law and his wife and I had learning about scuba for the first time. We got certified together, dived together, and I like to remember how excited we were to experience this new world for the first time with people we enjoyed.
The AOW patch reminds me of why I got it in the first place. I needed more skills in order to participate in a scientific dive expedition in the Gulf of Mexico. The skills I learned in the class were valuable indeed when my buddy went unconscious in the water on that trip. I hear a lot about how PADI AOW training is inadequate and it's a "nothing" course. I'm sorry those complainers didn't take the time to find quality instructors. Mine did a great job. Although my buddy died on the boat of an aneurism, the training I received served me extremely well in the emergency.
My Rescue Diver patch brings back memories of the comraderie and fun our cert class had during the course. Sure, it required focus and at least some athleticism, but with the proper team spirit and sense of adventure, we had a blast!
I don't have too many specialty courses, but the other side of my jacket is home for patches for other training such as BSA lifeguard instructor, Red Cross lifeguard instructor, first aid training, and a couple of others.
All of these patches bring back memories just as my dive log entries do. If wearing this coat somehow marks me as an inferior diver or braggart, well so be it. I choose to continue to wear it and remember the wonderful people, places, courses, and times represented on my lapels and back.

I have a Google beach towel for the boat. It's WAY cooler than the patches because no one else has one. So there.:10:

JeffG:
I don't think so.

Why does someone wear a patch? Because they will to show other people their accomplishments.

Why do they want to show their accomplishments? Because they want respect.

But when you know that the patches (ie PADI specialties) are easy peasy to get, whats the "worth" of the patches? Not much. But you could look good to someone who doesn't know any better.

Exactly.

texarkandy:

I look down on everyone, and what others feel doesn't really matter a whole lot to me, I know what I am and no matter what the badges or patches say I am what I am and will do what I do because I have this thing called self confidence. . .

LetterBoy:
I look down on everyone, and what others feel doesn't really matter a whole lot to me, I know what I am and no matter what the badges or patches say I am what I am and will do what I do because I have this thing called self confidence. . .

Confident or Cocky :wink: there is a thin line.

GA Under Water:
Confident or Cocky :wink: there is a thin line.

I found this somewhere not sure where though . . . I think it fits well here . . .

._____________^_.
|' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' '|_\
|*WAMBULANCE* - |i<<
I________________|I
..""(@)"""""""""(@)"............

:D :D :D

TheRedHead:
I have a Google beach towel for the boat. It's WAY cooler than the patches because no one else has one. So there.:10:

OH, YEA... well... I gotta' "EPCOT" towel... AND blue one!!! ... and that's w... ummm... "Google" did ya' say? ... and NOBODY else has one??? Sweet... so, like, do ya' know where I could find one??? :rofl3: :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom