padi peak performance buoyancy class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've taught quite a few PPB classes and I DO get good results, students seem to be amazed that they can drop weight from they're belt thru different weight placement and trim techniques and proper breathing techniques too.

I've also had some people tell me that they learnt a few handy things but nothing major. Depends on the individual.

SF

I took the course when I first started diving.
If nothing else it will get you more relaxed in the water.
As well as dropping weight and holding your trim.
For me it was worth every penny I spent.
By getting all the bugs worked out quikly, my SAC rate went way down and allowed me more bottom time. Not to mention hovering with little or no effort.
Most times guys who say it's a waste are the ones that never took it and really need it. You'll waste more time and money trying to learn on your own. Who you going to ask if your doing it right. The guy next to you that may or maynot know.

Kim:
Why PADI keeps it as a seperate course is beyond me .
P-put
A-another
D-dollar
I-in

But all joking aside, if its done properly, it can be a good course for a novice diver. My 13 year old daughter took it as part of her AOW this summer.

One of the challenges was:
Divemaster sat on the edge of a platform with her back to the group.
Instuctor pointed to a student who, had to swim up from behind, place their hand on the tank valve, at the instructors command, release their hand from the valve and back off. All without the DM feeling it. Needless to say they had to do this exersise several times and some never did get it.

What a great learning tool.

Hmmm, wonder if it would help me...of course, I may just need more experience out there in the water.

Nomaster:
I took the class last month because I was having serious troubles in my Wreck Diving class. Turns out that my problem was more than just weight, but the weight was a big contributor.
We worked on staying on depth, hovering, and several of the skills my instructor said I needed for moving through wrecks. I'm still working on the nomenclature, so I'll not try to astound you with terms I don't know, yet.
Anyway, after a couple of dives I felt rock steady and ready to work on other tasks while remaining, relatively motionless in the water.
Was it worth it?
To me, a big Heck yes! (PG-13) But, if you're not in need of a quick fix, diving practice, especially with a good and attentive partner, should achieve the same goals over time and might be more fun.

Tom

MikeFerrara:
You won't get much better with experience if you just keep practicing it wrong which is where most OW classes leave you.

cmon Mike... it's not exactly rocket science.

Stop finning.

if you go down, add a little air.

if you go up, dump a little air.

I think sometimes stuff is made to sound over complicated on the internet so people "take a class" and "don't kill themselves". At the end of the day, the basic OW course can be distilled into: "Don't hold your breath". Almost everything else is experience.

As an aside, I think Nitrox is a perfect example of a course that providing people fully understand it, could easily be done on the internet.

At the end of the day, the basic OW course can be distilled into: "Don't hold your breath".

That's exactly where PADI is headed. Give 'em time, they'll get there.

TX101:
cmon Mike... it's not exactly rocket science.

Thats the amazing thing. Its not rocket science, so why isn't it taught in the class and in the pool so that more divers can actually dive with skill and ability :06: Why does the standard OW course leave the newly minted diver with no other choice than to take another course or spend 20 or 30 dives figuring it out on their own.

How in the world is the newly minted diver supposed to practice and develop buoyancy control skills when they weren't really taught them in the first place :06:

Buoyancy control skills should be the cornerstone of an OW course.

waterkitty:
Hmmm, wonder if it would help me...of course, I may just need more experience out there in the water.
I'm rethinking my last paragraph after reading the new input.
I believe I will recommend the PPB class, because it really was focussed on buoyancy, and when we're diving with our buddy, unless we're both working on control, I think most of us would rather play.

Tom

It is a good class to take immediately following your OW class.

If you do alot of diving in between though before you get to taking it, don't bother. Grab a buddy, go over the concepts in the book and go out and do them. It is real basic stuff and you'll be amazed at what you can learn on your own if you have an agenda and patience.....get the agenda from the book.

J

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom