PADI responded to their OW swim requirement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halemano says:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we look at this example scientifically, maybe the presence of divers (including you) is the reason for most of the damage. Observers always forget the x -factor, themselves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, actually no, I don't damage the reef, I don't lay on it, I don't carve my name in it, I don't crawl on the bottom smashing everything to bits, I don't grab every critter I can get my hands on, I don't ram my camera lens into the reef, I don't bounce across the reef, I don't drag my anchor over the rock bottom or any of that so don't include me and those few of us who can stay up off the bottom. In tropical water I dive without a BC and with an aluminum 80, I am neautral to slightly positive at the end of the dive and use breath control to stay up off the bottom. One of the primary reasons new divers bash into the bottom and destroy it is that they are over weighted, under trained, ignorant (don't know any better), are way over equippped for 84 degree water and generally in poor physical condition themseleves. Keeping a baseline fitness and swimming skills goes miles and miles towards solving many issues.

There is a thread on "mid water" skills. I realize the OP is really discussing DIR subjects and deco hangs but along the same lines, in 100 foot viz tropical areas, there is no need to approach the reef closer than ten feet--fly over the reef instead of crawling and bounceing across it.

This is not even taught in scuba courses--flying through the water. In fact it seems many divers hug the bottom as a security blanket rather than suspending themselves. Why have a 600 dollar poodle jacket if your not going to actually use it for what it really is intended to do---neutralize yourself in the water column?

One of the goals of a scuba course should be awareness, not the touchy feeling stuff, but some understanding of the damage that is caused by bottom bouncing. Leave only bubbles, take only memories.

N

sweatfrog:
Can you say "Global Warming"?
I could say it, but it is irrelevant to the discussion here, as we're comparing reef with and without diver pressure in the same area of ocean, subject to the same water temperatures every day.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
I could say it, but it is irrelevant to the discussion here, as we're comparing reef with and without diver pressure in the same area of ocean, subject to the same water temperatures every day.
Rick

Maybe the globe is warmer on one side of the island than on the other:D

Nemrod:
Halemano says:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we look at this example scientifically, maybe the presence of divers (including you) is the reason for most of the damage. Observers always forget the x -factor, themselves.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, actually no, I don't damage the reef, I don't lay on it, I don't carve my name in it, I don't crawl on the bottom smashing everything to bits, I don't grab every critter I can get my hands on, I don't ram my camera lens into the reef, I don't bounce across the reef, I don't drag my anchor over the rock bottom or any of that so don't include me and those few of us who can stay up off the bottom. In tropical water I dive without a BC and with an aluminum 80, I am neautral to slightly positive at the end of the dive and use breath control to stay up off the bottom. One of the primary reasons new divers bash into the bottom and destroy it is that they are over weighted, under trained, ignorant (don't know any better), are way over equippped for 84 degree water and generally in poor physical condition themseleves. Keeping a baseline fitness and swimming skills goes miles and miles towards solving many issues.

There is a thread on "mid water" skills. I realize the OP is really discussing DIR subjects and deco hangs but along the same lines, in 100 foot viz tropical areas, there is no need to approach the reef closer than ten feet--fly over the reef instead of crawling and bounceing across it.

This is not even taught in scuba courses--flying through the water. In fact it seems many divers hug the bottom as a security blanket rather than suspending themselves. Why have a 600 dollar poodle jacket if your not going to actually use it for what it really is intended to do---neutralize yourself in the water column?

One of the goals of a scuba course should be awareness, not the touchy feeling stuff, but some understanding of the damage that is caused by bottom bouncing. Leave only bubbles, take only memories.

N

Good post. I couldn't have said it better myself. Well I probably could if I really tried:D but I agree anyway.

ams511:
3. Not a troll comment. Look at any dive spot that is dived a lot and you can see the damage. I never said all vacation divers are incompetent, however I do question the skills of someone that only dives once a year. How does vacation diving led to a decline? You can get certified at a destination (often for less money). Why buy gear if you can rent at the destination (or buy online), they don't need fills (not that it is a big profit center anyway). In other words they do not need an LDS at all.

From what I have seen in this thread...I guess I am the exception. I am a recreational diver, and don't dive as often as I would like. As far as my competency goes, I do what I feel comfortable doing, and follow the PADI guidelines. I agree my trim and skill won't be as good as someone who does it everyday. I learn more with each dive with regards to good form, bouyancy, and trim. Am I more of a safety risk than someone who dives once a month, I don't think so since I am probably more cautious. Remember, the course is meant as an starting point to diving. As far as destroying reef's and marine life, I don't (I got hooked on diving because I love marine life. I have a salt water aquarium and know how fragile corals are).

I hope I don't bother too many of you if my diving is not perfect yet. Diving is a life long learning process.

Michael

BTW...thought I should mention that one of the techniques I use to improve my diving is to watch the DM and see how he moves and dives. I learned a few ways to improve my trim on my last vacation by watching the DM.

Michael

Global warming has nothing to do with this--it is just the catch all for all human woes lately. Stay off the reef. "Green" begins with yourself. N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom