PADI Self Reliant vs SDI Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach both the PADI Self-Reliant and the SDI Solo classes. As I teach them, they are identical...
The PADI class really has SDI material/skills as a subset, but has a bit more and/or is more restrictive.
I recommend people in the PADI class get the SDI manual.
Anybody taking my class is entitled to either card, so I make sure their paperwork is appropriate!
I do not accept SpareAir as a redundant gas source...too small for real diving. SDI allows it, PADI does not.
I advise against an H-valve...sure, it gives a redundant first stage, but not a redundant air supply. It is also kind of hard to implement for the traveling diver.

I would like to see any data on the acceptance rate of SDI Solo vs. PADI Self Reliant for operators allowing solo diving. I would imagine the acceptance rate is similar and approaching 100%. I chose SDI because it was explicitly clear that it was certification for solo diving. I am running 100% acceptance to date.

Thanks Scott. That is what I understood. I know of one shop that uses part of the Tec 40 manual for teaching the Self-Reliant course. Now I haven't taken it obviously (I will be taking tec 40/45/50 in July - reading the manual now as there is a whole lot of information). From what I've read so far, I can see how concepts from the tec 40 manual can be applied to being a self-reliant diver. Personally, I prefer manuals to work through, so I get information through different sources (book and instructor). But that is just my learning style.

The SDI Solo Book and the PADI Tec 40... resource (at least when I took it wasn't published by PADI) are similar, but do contain some different and complementary information. Read both.

FWIW, I really like the idea of practicing a DSMB deployment with the mask off. I'll have to add that to my practice routine. Holding the stop will be much easier if you think ahead and tie a knot at 18' for a tactile mark.

There is no such thing as "standardized distinctive specialty" course in PADI. They have "standard specialty" courses like Wreck, and Deep, etc and they have "distinctive specialty" courses such as Self Reliant. But, although some people have really grabbed on to the term, it does not exist in any PADI material... because the two terms are mutually exclusive.
Within the distinctive specialties authorized to be taught by PADI are many instructor-authored distinctive specialties, and a few that started as instructor-authored and later were standardized by PADI, especially when several instructors had authored similar courses. These are what I call, and will continue to call “standardized distinctive specialties”. The two terms standardized and distinctive are not mutually exclusive unless you use a narrow definition of distinctive, such as "unique" - which is clearly not the way PADI is using the word. Note that as a mild nod to your sensibilities, I called it:
… a so-called "standardized distinctive specialty" …
And by the way, the term originated with PADI – although they no longer use it.

potato tomahto

Last edited:
If you look at page 5 to 9 in above link it discusses PADI's position on buddy diving and self reliance and "diving alone" or "independent diving." It looks very carefully worded to avoid the term "solo."

Yep, to me it smells like the PADI lawyers had a panic attack at the idea of certifying someone for solo diving.

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 04:16 PM ----------

I really do not think it is just a nomenclature thing. PADI condemned solo diving for so long that it is hardly credible that they would now be teaching it.

It would be like the GOP supporing gay marriage.

What do you think we'll see first, congressional legislation on 'self-reliant' marriage or a PADI gay diver specialty? :D

In the Solo Technical Why? thread, in Post #16 by Wookie, this is a part of his post:

If you call Kelly Rockwood, PADI training and QA, she will tell you that the self reliant diver course is meant for a recreational diver to plan and execute a buddyless dive. It is called Self Reliant because Karl Shreeves or Drew Richardson, can't remember who, wrote a missive stating unequivocally that PADI would never endorse solo diving.

My own suspicion is that when SDI offered a Solo Diver course, it drew attention. A number of people who'd always done their training in the PADI system because that's what they were used to, now had reason to look at a competitor who offered something PADI didn't. Giving PADI customers reason to shop elsewhere, basically. That's not good business. So, what to do?

I suppose 'Self-reliant' diver is one way to have your cake and eat it, too.

Richard.

I teach both the PADI Self-Reliant and the SDI Solo classes. As I teach them, they are identical...
The PADI class really has SDI material/skills as a subset, but has a bit more and/or is more restrictive.
I recommend people in the PADI class get the SDI manual.
Anybody taking my class is entitled to either card, so I make sure their paperwork is appropriate!
I do not accept SpareAir as a redundant gas source...too small for real diving. SDI allows it, PADI does not.
I advise against an H-valve...sure, it gives a redundant first stage, but not a redundant air supply. It is also kind of hard to implement for the traveling diver.
In addition to the SDI manual, would you also recommend that PADI students read the PADI instructor's manual for the self-reliant course? I downloaded it last night and found it a useful and informative student guide as well as being for the instructor.

Besides the ambiguity of the title, I dislike the fact that PADI places it in the same category as Invasive Lionfish Tracker, and Surface Marker Buoy Diver just to name two. And as mentioned, if their students want a manual, it's SDI Solo.

In addition to the SDI manual, would you also recommend that PADI students read the PADI instructor's manual for the self-reliant course? I downloaded it last night and found it a useful and informative student guide as well as being for the instructor.

I don't mind that, but I do think the version that was posted should have had the answers to the Knowledge Review removed....

The one that was posted should not have been posted. It's copyrighted material. PADI might catch up with scubabutch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom