PADI Self Reliant vs SDI Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one that was posted should not have been posted. It's copyrighted material. PADI might catch up with scubabutch.
Ahh, I had wondered about that!

To repeat myself, I have never been asked for a solo diving card.

My experience with operators around the world have either had a set solo diver policy and PADIs card would be fine or have a zero solo diving policy where buddy diving was strictly enforced to the point that no card or training was going to change their policy.

Do some research on who you want to dive with. locally, our dive boats don't plan your dives for you, they provide no dive master. If you choose to dive in without a buddy, that's your choice.

I have had mostly the same experience over the years as you. But, the game has changed. There are now two RECREATIONAL SCUBA SOLO certifications from widely recognized certification agencies. There are now operations who will not allow solo generally, never did, but do now if you have the card. They tend to be few and far between because people are largely ignorant of the new certifications from PADI and SDI and/or simply have not adjusted their policy because of the long standing hysterical bias against solo recreational SCUBA diving.

N

The one that was posted should not have been posted. It's copyrighted material. PADI might catch up with scubabutch.

Agreed. Although, to be fair, I don't think scubabutch actually "posted" it. It looks to me like he put it on his company website for his own purposes, forgot to lock down the directory, and the Google webcrawler found it. I base this conclusion on the fact that one can peruse many of scubabutch's directories and files...

Jim Lapenta wrote:
"There is also a swimming skill of 600 yds in full scuba gear non stop performed in open water. "

600yds?? Seems a bit far, don'tcha think?

I haven't taken the PADI course, mostly because my instructor & I just decided to make the switch to SDI/TDI for my training.

I think the best part of the course is the gas planning part, followed by the "re-learn the diving mindset" to change from counting on a buddy to being self sufficient.

I carry the card but nobody wants to buddy with me anyway, so I just do my own thing :wink:

I did take a peek, and did note that part of the reference materials used is the Tec diving manual (among others).

Last edited:
I did take a peek, and did note that part of the reference materials used is the Tec diving manual (among others).
Ok, it's not exactly apples to apples but here is a link to a slide series on the SDI instructor's manual (1999). The link is for part 3 and the info with the SDI solo outline starts page 83.

Sdi instructor manual part 3

Sorry guys. I don't think there are any test answers. :D

It is 600 feet, :wink:, not 600 yards. I am sure that Jim just made a typo :). Personally I think they should step that up a notch.

PADI's is the same , but they call it 200 yds

"Perform a relaxed, nonstop 200 metre/yard surface swim
with all standard and specialized equipment."

Given that many of my surface swims are greater than 200 yds - this is not unreasonable. It shows you have the strength and stamina for a reasonable surface swim.

Yeah that was my bad. It is 600 feet. The standard actually reads
"1. 200 metres / 600 feet surface swim in full scuba equipment, configured for local diving; must be non- stop and performed in an open water environment."

Long day on Memorial Day. Anyway thanks to those who did catch it.

Back
Top Bottom