PADI standard for the ice diving course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You want to talk standards violation? The instructor that I did my ice cert with didin't even change out of his street clothes and there was no certified assistant either. I only did one ice dive before my reg started free flowing. On my second and third "dives" when my reg was still free flowing, I was told just to go under the ice and breathe off the free flowing regulator. Oh, and I I didn't have a buddy in the water with me.

Needless to say, I no longer associate with that shop. Even though my training wasn't very good to say the least, I have since made many successful and safe ice dives. My ice diving buddies are very good and I have learned a lot from them.

Do you home work when it comes to getting training for an overhead environment. A good instructor WILL make the difference between life and death.

DJ

Mike,

I hope you weren't one of two students who I mentioned. Acutally, it was a few year ago.

in_cavediver:
Where abouts are you? I did Ice a few years ago.
in_cavediver:

Thanks for your clarification. It will help a lot.

Yes, I am talking about the standard and violations. After being DM candidate, I am more disappointed at the way of teaching from many local instructors. Many dive shops and instructors are threatening the new students by addressing the importance of lift support equipment when the new students are trying to buy the new gears from the internet sources such as Scubatoys, Scuba.com, NESS, Diverssupply, Divers Direct, etc… But, in their teaching practice, they are totally difference faces. I don’t think they care about the safety issue at all. Sure, there are many quality instructors who I have met though………

Back
Top Bottom