padi teach hyperventilation but not to avoid skindiving after scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They refer to banning all breath-hold stuff. And along the way redefine SWB ... They also seem to assume that everyone undertaking breath-hold activities has been hyperventilating.

The free-dive club I belong to actively teaches NOT to hyperventilate. The content of that video just seems to go way over the top IMO. Yes, breathhold activity has its risks - but so does pretty much everything we do (even sitting at a desk typing a post on a forum). The key is to understand those risks and manage them appropriately (e.g. go for a run or swim and don't spend your whole life at a keyboard). For apnea stuff the key saftey point (in my opinion) is to not do it alone - have an "active safety" watching you. This person should be in the water with you, aware of the danger signs and watching you properly. They should also practice recovery techniques etc.

The rising level of CO2 in your blood produces an amazingly strong urge to breath followed (in most people) by diaphragmatic contractions. These contractions are pretty tough to get through and the average person would well and truely be heading to the surface once they kick in. Although competive apnea folks will train to ride their way through them and just keep the breath-hold going (and this can be very tough / unpleasant). For me contractions usually start around 3:00min or 3:30 into a static and keep building until I come up for a breath.

---------- Post added September 1st, 2014 at 04:19 PM ----------

I am a former Aeromedical Evacuation Officer - US Army with advanced medical training and experience flying Air Rescue in Washington State for three years where we found ourselves transporting divers suffering DCS, Nitrogen Narcosis and other injuries.

Based on the information in this thread I am interested in learning more about possible problems from free diving within a certain timeframe after Scuba.

From what I have read, dumpsterDiver is spot on.

FredinPH - were they still suffering nitrogen narcosis when you transported them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom