PADI v Diverlink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firefyter:
I don't think I'd call him a troll....he doesn't care for Padi's standards, and doesn't mind saying so. Vocal, maybe, but he's not starting the threads, just responding to them. Maybe you'd prefer a warm, fuzzy thread where everybody dotes on Padi and extolls their virtues, but that isn't ever going to happen.
no he is a PADI troll. a simple kudo thread to a dive shop that worked hard to earn A 5 star IDC rating. was immediately trolled by him and the thread ended up being shut down due to his and a few others hi-jacking and negative attitudes. I am not looking for kinder gentler warmer fuzzy. I am saying his negative attitude towards PADI casts doubt on the validity of HIS assessment and calls his objectivity into question. despite the fact that he tries to claim to be unbiased when he has clearly on this board shown that he is not by all his PADI bashing.

Firefyter:
I only see him associated at the instructor level with 1 of the agencies. He took a class from Naui, but he's not an instructor for them. Looks like that theory's shot. :wink: And as for not teaching for Padi, it's evident he doesn't like their program, so why WOULD he teach for them?
True on the instructor level thing. so if he wasn't out to slam Just SLAM an agency here why didn't he compare and contrast all the agencies? supporting NAUI can easy be construed as a feinged attempt at appearing impartial

Firefyter:
He made his conclusions based on their standards. If you can read their standards and understand them, you are able to make comparisons with other agencies, which is what he did.
I said viable conclusions I wouldn't assume to comment on another agencies standards and be credible without working knowledge. We can make conclusions all day long doesn't mean they are viable.

Firefyter:
They're not neccesarily supporting it, there are lots of staffers who are Padi trained. It's just that they respect the fact that we all have opinions and they allow us to present them as long as we follow the TOS.
I didn't say all staffers I said pleanty of. and I have reported pleanty of staffers who have TOS violations to NetDOC and Natasha.

Firefyter:
I agree with most of this. However, as to #4, Walter didn't just win once, he won TWICE. I'd have to say in this case that he was right.
Disagree i say again winning in court doesn't mean the winner was right. just means they had a better lawyer both times

Firefyter:
It wasn't the right thing to do. The right thing to do would be to address shortcomings in an organization rather than trying to shoot the messenger. As I said before, if the truth hurts so bad that you can't stand it, maybe you need to change your ways.
the old truth hurts defense. who's truth? Walter's?, PADI's? Your's? Mine? irrelevant. if there were only one right way to get the job done then there would be only one agency. there is good and bad with every agency, but the report by mister unbiased doesn't address it that way so who's truth sets the standard?

Firefyter:
It's totally accurate. They didn't like the comparison being made in the light of day where everybody could read it, and sued to make it go away. I say again, if they could have proved it to be false, they would have sued for that too.
Is an incorrect interpretation a falsehood or a miscommunication? can things be purposely misinterpreted to spin them in a bad light? Did walter purposely missinterpert his evaluation of standards to spin it his way? I have no idea and can't answer with 100% certainty. From what I know of walter do I think it is possible? I have to say I do. How can a thing be proven to be false if there is chance they could be misinterpreted they way they were addressed?

Firefyter:
I thought we were getting along, but that doesn't mean we all have to agree. It just means we have to disagree nicely :D
This wasn't addressed to you persay FF. I just started my last reply by addressing your question of what differnce it made. I am not 100% objective but I try to be. walter doesn't appear to try. There are things that I don't agree with that other agency tout but I don't go around M-Fing them for it. Walter does. IMHO how he went about it was not professional,
You say we don't have to agree we just have to disagree nicely. I am all for that. My dealings with Walter prove otherwise. he disagrees to drive his point home.

Unfortunately, not many of you know the complete history behind the article that was posted on Diverlink, nor the history of the law suit. I know some of it since as many of you know, Walter and I are brothers. I do not know all of the history either. However, I do know this: Walter never had any bad feelings for PADI before the suit. He thought they could improve their standards, he thinks all agencies can improve their standards and teaches above the YMCA minimum standards (something PADI will not allow their instructors to do.)

After the law suit which was very ill advised ( In my opinion the attourneys that recommended the suit should be canned by PADI), Walter's opinion of PADI changed. I cannot blame him for his change in opinion. I know mine did and so did many other people that know about this situation.

You can argue till you get blue in the face, PADI's standards are not as high as other agencies. Is that bad? I don't think it's bad, I think it's sad.

RIDIVER501:
a simple kudo thread to a dive shop that worked hard to earn A 5 star IDC rating. was immediately trolled by him

Very interesting. Seems I made an enemy when I pointed out becoming a 5 star facility is not an accomplishment, but merely a marketing tool. If I remember correctly, the original post made being a 5 star facility sound like something it is not. I tried to correct what I felt was a misunderstanding. Seems some people get angry when myths are dispelled.

RIDIVER501:
The difference if makes FF is that my experience with walter is he is a PADI bashing troll here on SB.

That depends on your definitions. If you think anyone who says something negative about PADI is a PADI basher, I qualify. If you think anyone who says something negative about PADI, without backing it up with facts, is a PADI basher, I don't qualify.

RIDIVER501:
funny how the 3 agencies evaluated in his little article are on the two he is associated with at the instructor level and the one he despises the most. Oh and the one he despises the most he has not taught for.

Sorry, the only instructor tickets I've ever held were YMCA and CMAS. I have never been a NAUI instructor, although a NAUI Instructor Trainer has encouraged me to cross over to NAUI.

You are also putting the cart before the horse. While I have long known PADI standards weren't as high as those of some other agencies, I never disliked them until after they filed suit. In fact, I was involved in very friendly discussions with a member of PADI's QA department to eliminate misgivings they had about the article. At the end of those discussions, while I still felt PADI should make their standards better, I had a positive impression of their organization. At that point I received an e-mail from my liaison from PADI's QA department praising me for fairly representing PADI in the article. Shortly after, PADI filed suit and as the suit progressed, I learned things about PADI that led to my negative impression of PADI.

RIDIVER501:
ironic how people on this board fail to realize:
1. no one agency is the end all be all of diving.
2. every agency has their own share of problems.
3. every agency has their shares of instructor who are not doing the right thing by their students or the industry.
4. winning a court battle doesn't mean the winner is right or innoccent (look at OJ)
5. there are bad divers out there who hold cards from every agency out there.
6. many bad divers are a product of their own personal lack of diving and skill development and not a product of substandard instruction. (although it easier to and more politically correct to blame the agency and instructor for a divers shortcomings)

All of those are true. No disagreement. OTOH, many divers are poorly trained not because the instructor wanted to do a poor job, but because he didn't know how to do a good job. Higher standards will help to correct this problem.

RIDIVER501:
if he wasn't out to slam Just SLAM an agency here why didn't he compare and contrast all the agencies?

It's pretty difficult and expensive to get standards from most agencies. I believe I can easily and cheaply get SSI standards and plan to add them to the comparison when I can find the time. This is also not something that can be thrown together one afternoon. Each time a new agency is added, you have to carefully look for new requirements that the previously evaluated agencies didn't seem to have. When you find such requirements, you then have to double check each agency previously evaluated to make sure nothing was missed. The reason I chose the YMCA, NAUI and PADI was, PADI is the largest and had to be included. I purchased a set of standards from a retiring PADI DM. NAUI was included because I could easily get a set of standards through a friend. As a YMCA instructor, I already had a set of Y standards.

RIDIVER501:
I wouldn't assume to comment on another agencies standards and be credible without working knowledge.

Actually, I have a great deal of experience working as a divemaster on a charter boat in ther Keys. As a divemaster, I saw many, many classes from various agencies from their first dive through certification. It soon became evident that some techniques worked well in producing quality divers while other techniques don't work well at all. I have working knowledge.

RIDIVER501:
i say again winning in court doesn't mean the winner was right.

True.

RIDIVER501:
the old truth hurts defense. who's truth? Walter's?, PADI's? Your's? Mine? irrelevant.

Sorry, but things are true or they aren't. There are various sections of my article, some are objective while others are subjective. The objective sections are true, the subjective sections are my opinions and are clearly labeled as such.

RIDIVER501:
if there were only one right way to get the job done then there would be only one agency.

All the agencies after LA County weren't started because the new agencies had a new approach. They are limited in territory covered. YMCA was the first nationwide agency. NAUI came soon after with similar techniques. PADI saw a marketing opportunity. They later lowered standards to capitalize on our instant gratification society, not to do things differently or better.

RIDIVER501:
there is good and bad with every agency, but the report by mister unbiased doesn't address it that way so who's truth sets the standard?

From the article:

"NAUI requires orally inflating a buddy's BC, neither YMCA nor PADI require this excellent skill."

"NAUI makes no mention of no mask breahing, a critical skill......"

"PADI requires a student to breathe from a free flowing regulator, NAUI has no such requirement and YMCA only added it in 2000. This is an excellent skill."

"All three agencies have room to improve."

Didn't that address it? What were you saying about truth?

RIDIVER501:
There are things that I don't agree with that other agency tout but I don't go around M-Fing them for it. Walter does.

That's just a bald faced lie. You should be ashamed.

DennisW:
[snip]

After the law suit which was very ill advised ( In my opinion the attourneys that recommended the suit should be canned by PADI), Walter's opinion of PADI changed. I cannot blame him for his change in opinion. I know mine did and so did many other people that know about this situation.

[snip]
this suit was one a primary factor for me withdrawing from my PADI DM class a few years back when PADI filed suit... too embarrassing to be associated with.

I just read the original article and it seems fair to me. I'd like to see SSI included since that is the agency that I certified with (and it would be interesting to see if anything was "left out" in my training that should have been there). I'd kind of like to try the don and doff that is mentioned. Shouldn't be too hard if you are weighted correctly to be neutral in just your wetsuit. We just had to remove the SCUBA unit underwater (and on the surface).

Congratulations Walter and thank you for your article of standards that started this pointless fight. Whether they offend or not, these comparsons are worth knowing.

Also, Congratulations to Diverlink and attorney Dotty Vidal of Texas. They should win the Consumer Reports Award or something for sticking up for all or our rights to talk about safety on the internet.

And I nominate PADI and its hapless lawyers for the Oscar Wilde Award for bringing pointlessly self defeating libel suits.

That's just a bald faced lie. You should be ashamed.
Wasn't referring to your article was referring to your conduct towards PADI on SB.
That is a record of Fact. The many dealings I have had with you on SB have been, as I have stated negative, and many time for no reason other then just so you can pipe in on a thread and stir things up.
That is my conclusion based on my SB dealings with you.

You are getting your congrats in this thread from others. That is why you posted this thread in an open forum. enjoy your victory.

RIDIVER501,

I challenge you to find anyplace on this board or any other where I used terms such as "M-Fing" about PADI or anyone else. That is your lie.

If you say I don't like PADI, I have no argument. You say I point out problems I see in the PADI program, I have no argument, but when you say things like:

RIDIVER501:
There are things that I don't agree with that other agency tout but I don't go around M-Fing them for it. Walter does.

I do have an argument, because it's not true. I resent such lies.

Thanks Steve, it was a long time coming. I appreciate the support. Let's go diving! You and Paula come stay with me next time.

DivePartner1,

Thanks. Dotty is amazing! She's a fantastic lawyer and a wonderful human being. She took this case at her own expense, not knowing if she'd ever see a dime, even to cover her expenses. Now she can finally get compensated for all her hard work.

Walter, congrats. At least the truth is still legal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom