PADI VS NAUI DM Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattbinvt

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am a PADI Rescue Diver and PADI DM Candidate. But the Instructor I was doing the DM course with has left the Diving proffesion for Customs and Border Protection. And There are 2 LDS in my area one is NAUI and the other is PADI. The LDS that is NAUI is very very active and has a better activities to keep people interested in diving, and a great support team. How hard is it to switch from PADI to NAUI since I am half way through the PADI DM can I switch now or wait until I am done with the PADI course???

Talk to the instructor with whom you'll be working. I'd be inclined to switch ASAP, but your instructor may have other ideas.

Totally dependant on the shop you are trying to switch to what their requirements are. A PADI shop would be able to accept your paperwork though with no problems.

There are some differences between the PADI and NAUI programs that you may want to consider ... because what you want to do with your DM rating may affect your decision.

If all you want to do is work locally ... or go on to become an instructor ... the NAUI program may offer some advantages. In the NAUI program, a DM has a higher rating than an Assistant Instructor. In the PADI program, the AI rating is higher than DM. For working with students, the NAUI DM may therefore be more actively involved in the class (depending on the instructor you're working with).

On the other hand, if you harbor thoughts of becoming a working DM with a dive resort or charter service elsewhere in the world, know that PADI has a far ... FAR ... higher representation than NAUI. It will be easier to find work with a PADI rating.

If you are planning to teach, there are significant differences in the programs. I chose NAUI because of their "freedom to teach" philosophy that basically gives their instructors a lot of freedom to modify their classes to best suit the needs of their students, and address topics that are unique to the region in which they dive. NAUI instructors are also certified to teach a wide range of specialties and levels up to DM. A PADI instructor has to take additional training to teach at those levels. This could be good or bad ... depending on the thoroughness of your instructor training. Personally, I found it to be advantageous.

On the other hand, PADI has a very structured program, and higher-quality instructor materials to work with. Many instructors find their approach a better fit to their style of teaching.

My advice would be to consider your goals, and choose the program that would best suit them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, as a PADI instructor, I can teach all levels up through DM and PPB, Project Aware etc. with an OWSI....specialties are a different matter. At present, I can teach EANx, EFR and again, all levels up through DM.

Thanks for all the responses. I should clarify, when the PADI Instructor comes back and gets his life back in order I will finish the PADI DM Course. But the other LDS only has NAUI Instructors, and when I was starting the PADI class I really enjoyed working with students. Is there as much "bookwork" with NAUI as there is with PADI??? And I do understand most of the differences between NAUI and PADI. I kind of like the NAUI "freedom" for instructors compared to PADI.

... NAUI instructors are also certified to teach a wide range of specialties and levels up to DM. A PADI instructor has to take additional training to teach at those levels. This could be good or bad ... depending on the thoroughness of your instructor training. Personally, I found it to be advantageous...

Hi Bob

PADI Open Water Scuba Instructors (the certification level attained after completing the PADI IDC (or OWSI Program) and the PADI IE are qualified to teach OW, AOW, Rescue and Divemaster courses, as well as three standardised specialties (Peak Performance Buoyancy, Project AWARE and AWARE Coral Reef Conservation).

In fact, PADI AI's can teach these specialties (though not the OW, AOW, Rescue and DMs).

Cheers

Des

Thanks for all the responses. I should clarify, when the PADI Instructor comes back and gets his life back in order I will finish the PADI DM Course. But the other LDS only has NAUI Instructors, and when I was starting the PADI class I really enjoyed working with students. Is there as much "bookwork" with NAUI as there is with PADI??? And I do understand most of the differences between NAUI and PADI. I kind of like the NAUI "freedom" for instructors compared to PADI.

Too much emphasis is placed on the "freedom" aspect of comparison. It is true as a PADI instructor I cannot deviate from the modules, confined water sequence of instruction or the open water sequence. It is not true that I can not add training in additional skills of self rescue, rescue, etc. I am allowed to inject any areas I see fit as long as I don't deny certification to a student whom I do not feel mastered any additional skills. I must be ready to justify anything I taught, whether in the standards or outside the standards if litigation arises. The problem then is I must prove that what was taught was within "industry" standards. I must submit for certification any student that demonstrates mastery in the outlined standards. We are cautioned in the area of additional training but not specifically restricted.

BUT, there are differences in the PADI DM program and the NAUI DM program as previously suggested. There are differences in the skills required, etc. but also alot of similarities. In the PADI system, a DM is the first level of professional responsibility and in NAUI, assistant instructor is the first level, then skin diving instructor, then DM to Instructor. Most people do not ever attain the specific title of assistant instructor in the PADI system, as that is usually the first 3 days of the IDC, and never apply for the rating. The rest of the IDC is OWSI ending with the IE and upon successful completion, the OWSI rating. NAUI, through my limited research, focuses on lecture instruction versus home study instruction in the courses. That debate will always exist as to the better method. Some students learn better on their own with elaboration in areas they have trouble with, and others learn equally as well via lecture. (I'm not one of those as lectures lose me quickly if I've already studied the material) Speaking for the PADI system which is structured to address areas the knowledge reviews demonstrate weak areas, it's easier to teach. Personally, I know areas students are likely to just regurgitate what's in the manual, so I spend extra time on those areas even when no one has missed any knowledge review questions. (theory, tables, physiology etc) I do not offer "quickie" courses that cover all the material in 3 days or so. We take one module of knowledge reviews per week, class room discussion and 2 to 3 hours of pool time for 5 weeks, then 2 days open water. It depends more on, in my opinion, whether, the objective is making money or helping people to learn to dive with knowledge, confidence and safely.

You will not ever read or hear me bash another agencies practices or standards. I think all of the standards have the same goal, some not as comprehensive at one level as others. But that's for another exhaustive (and probably boring) dissertation.:coffee:

Your point about the shop being all NAUI instructors...
Many of the shops I see now have multi agency classes now.
You could have an edge in employment giving them the option to add NAUI/PADI center to their advertising.

Another element is most people will look for PADI certification without even knowing what NAUI is... So you could also have an edge being a PADI guy in a NAUI dominate area (how'd that happen?) with customers looking for you (PADI) specifically.

Besides that PADI has a lot more "specialty" classes that will keep students comming back for many more training sessions.

How's that joke go?
A boat with a bunch of differnt dive agency classes on board starts to sink...

SSI instructor gathers the 4 SSI students and says they are going to practice thier navigation skills and swim back.

NAUI instructor gathers the 2 NAUI students together and says they are going to apply thier rescue skills and swim back.

The PADI instructor gathers the 12 PADI students to gether and says, "This has now become a wreck dive... Thats going to be another $50 each and another $120 for your wreck specialty."

Anyhow... I'm NAUI and intend to stay on with a NAUI path... But for a buisness and to be teaching, stick to PADI if you want it easier.

Good luck in your choices,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom