PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have to say it is more important to have a good instructor over the picked agency... imo most are fine.
Remember that the basic course that you complete reguardless of agency is just that...a beginning.

After 30 yrs of diving, I'm still learning.

Tom
ex Naui/Padi instuctor

Samo615, As a Padi certified Assistant Instructor I would recemand Padi as your org that you get certified from. PADI is the best one that I have been with, because they are always up to date on their training to make it better, and to ensure that the instructor is up to date with any new training and ways to train. If you wish I would suggest that you look around and talk to the differant places that has Padi, NAUI, and SSI and make the chose that will fit you the best. I hope that this helps alittle
Brian

I have not seen a good poop on PADI thread in a while, thanks for lighting the fire!

:popcorn:
Why cant I have popcorn??
Ohwell, nvm..

:gas::gas::gas::gas::gas:

I only been with PADI since my ex lost her storage with all of my dive gear init have have not been able to recupe any new gear to get back in the water

Really? Is that why they don't have rescue skills in the OW class like NAUI? Allow weekend courses? And don't allow instructors to add material and test on it as part of the process? Or will override an instructors decison not to certify someone who shows a poor attitude towards safety as long as they "master" the basic skills required?

No. I would not recommend them unless you find an old school PADI instructor who doesn't buy into some of this stuff.

There are a lot of lies about how all basic courses are the pretty much the same. They are not. Not by a long shot. And while it is the instructor, it's also what the instructor is allowed and required to do by the standards that make a huge difference. NAUI instructors are required to deviate from the standards if local conditions and the needs of the student require it. A few other agencies allow this also. Because they realize that instruction should not be the same anywhere a student goes. It should be dependent on conditions and what the instructor feels is required in his/her area.

Hmmm, if the individual dive company and individual instructor are removed from the equation, then I might agree. But since you can't separate the quality of the program or the quality, commitment and teaching skills of the Instructor, then I disagree.
I'm not required by PADI to pass anybody that I don't feel is competent. What I consider as competent is quite a bit more than minimum standards. PADI doesn't have Maximum standards. I have the freedom to raise the bar, before my name goes on the dotted line.

Likewise, in the classroom, I can go into detail and go well beyond anything that is in the book, or on the test. Ultimately, students take the PADI Open Water Final Exam, but I'm confident they were taught much, much more.
PADI does not force Instructors to teach at the lowest standard. The standards are a baseline.
For example, our students are started in backplate/wing/harness with crotchstrap kits. All skills are done while neutrally buoyant and horizontally. They practice skills which include the PADI minimum standards, plus much more.
My PADI rep thinks its great that we go to greater lengths to develop better divers.
Once the PADI confined water requirements are met, we can spend as much time as we want working on buoyancy control, body position, finning methods, buddy skills, equipment familiarization, general comfort, etc.

Rarely do I conduct a class in which every student passes. The ones who struggle are afforded more time to practice, and perhaps private training sessions. They pass when I'm confident that they are competent, informed, level headed, and have practiced with enough repetition to commit skills to muscle memory.

I know NAUI Instructors who just "get it done", and punch through the course with utmost speed, while meeting minimum standards.
I know PADI Instructors who do the same.
Which is better?
If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose not to dive.

Jim Lapenta you may not recommend PADI because I'm sure you begain your diving career with some one else, and that fine as it's your opinon just like PADI where I begain my diving career it's my opion. You should never discurage anyone from chosing one org or another, With that being said You should never allow any instructor to over ride any training rules that was put in to place, the rules are put into place for a reason. As far as any rescue skills during an openwater certificcation should not happen. Thats why PADI has a rescue diver cert that you can get. Students need to understand the basics first not to jump into another certificaton/skills before the OW has been completed. PADI focuses on safty first. All PADI Instructors assist all students eather by doing one on one or staying after to help that student. PADI is the longest operated organization that I'm awear of and reserched. There for I do highly recommend PADI to anyone, however they have the right to make up thier own minds on who to go with for their training.Are there differances? yes there is and no Instructor or non-pro diver should or has the right to discourage any new student on who to go with. You may state the differances andd thats fine. There is good and bad with every dive org.
Brian

---------- Post added March 30th, 2013 at 12:57 AM ----------

Divedoggie
As I'm A certified PADI Assistant Instructor I 100% agree with your statment. PADI is all about safty first. All students as you stated must show that they have the skills and able to preform them saftely rushing through the meterial is never good, next as you also stated in your finnal words I also would rather not dive.

NAUI instructors are required to deviate from the standards if local conditions and the needs of the student require it. A few other agencies allow this also.

Care to name an agency that doesn't?

PADI states that a beginner diver needs a certain number of skills in order to plan and conduct dives in conditions similar or better in those in which they experienced under training. PADI has a set 'progression' of skills, but there is flexibility in the way the instructor can run the course. To state otherwise is misleading.

As far as any rescue skills during an openwater certificcation should not happen. Thats why PADI has a rescue diver cert that you can get.

Basic rescue should be taught in open water classes. Most people that take OW will never make it to the rescue cert. but that does not mean they will not encounter a situation that will require the most basic life saving skill taught in some ow classes. It is irresponsible not to teach these basic skills during ow. It is to bad one must

Put
Another
Dollar
In

just to get minimum life saving ow skills that should have been taught in their ow class!

Basic rescue should be taught in open water classes. Most people that take OW will never make it to the rescue cert. but that does not mean they will not encounter a situation that will require the most basic life saving skill taught in some ow classes. It is irresponsible not to teach these basic skills during ow. It is to bad one must

Put
Another
Dollar
In

just to get minimum life saving ow skills that should have been taught in their ow class!
Wow! Did you think of that all by yourself? You must be so proud. I bet no one has ever heard that phrase before.

Just so those who are new will know, the "basic rescue skills" debate has been come and gone on ScubaBoard many times. It is not a simple issue, because basic rescue skills are indeed taught by all agencies, including PADI. The real issue here is that PADI, and many other agencies, do not teach a couple of skills at the OW level that many people argue are not necessary and will rarely, if ever, be used. This is not the place to recreate the full debate all over again, and I think it is really disingenuous for people who belong to competing agencies to thump their chests and reduce a complex discussion down to a single deceptive phrase to make themselves look good and others look bad without even a hint of the true details.

Jim Lapenta you may not recommend PADI because I'm sure you begain your diving career with some one else, and that fine as it's your opinon just like PADI where I begain my diving career it's my opion. You should never discurage anyone from chosing one org or another, With that being said You should never allow any instructor to over ride any training rules that was put in to place, the rules are put into place for a reason. As far as any rescue skills during an openwater certificcation should not happen. Thats why PADI has a rescue diver cert that you can get. Students need to understand the basics first not to jump into another certificaton/skills before the OW has been completed. PADI focuses on safty first. All PADI Instructors assist all students eather by doing one on one or staying after to help that student. PADI is the longest operated organization that I'm awear of and reserched. There for I do highly recommend PADI to anyone, however they have the right to make up thier own minds on who to go with for their training.Are there differances? yes there is and no Instructor or non-pro diver should or has the right to discourage any new student on who to go with. You may state the differances andd thats fine. There is good and bad with every dive org.
Brian

---------- Post added March 30th, 2013 at 12:57 AM ----------

Divedoggie
As I'm A certified PADI Assistant Instructor I 100% agree with your statment. PADI is all about safty first. All students as you stated must show that they have the skills and able to preform them saftely rushing through the meterial is never good, next as you also stated in your finnal words I also would rather not dive.

My PADI DM number is/was 231943. Came in through PADI and did more than a few specialties on the way to DM. It was my experience with a PADI shop and the emphasis on selling more and more, be it courses or gear that was not appropriate for the diver, that soured me on the way the business model is set up.

Your assertion that rescue skills should not happen in the OW class is ludicrous and you obviously have not done much research on the history of recreational diving. Rescue skills used to be standard in every open water course. And were there until it became more profitable to throw them out and make people wait. In the meantime you now have OW divers who have no idea how to assist a fellow diver. And divers have died as a result of that. I spent over 9 months looking into fatalities where if the new diver had known some basic rescue techniques someone would likely not be dead. How much independent research have you done on the subject?

Why should I never discourage a person from training with a program I do not feel is safe or adequately prepares them for the activity? My ethics and morals demand I do so. How many agency standards do you have in your library? I have them from nine now. And I insist new students look at them and compare them.

No one has the right to discourage a diver from training with someone? You have to be kidding me. If your son or daughter decided to train with a shop or agency whose standards and practices you did not believe in you would not say something? I consider not speaking up immoral.

And so tell me please, I really need to know, what do you as an Assistant Instructor tell new open water divers they should do if they come upon a panicking diver in the water? One who is obviously in danger of drowning. Watch and scream for a "rescue diver"? Or watch until the diver goes under and mark the spot for the coroner? I prefer to take an extra pool session and train my open water divers according to our standards and show them how to assist that stricken diver. And when you don't mess with weekend or two weekend courses you can do that. I am required to put 16 hours in the pool and 16 in the classroom. When that occurrs it is quite easy to teach those basic rescue skills.

Back
Top Bottom