PADI Wreck Diver Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
Has anyone done this course? I'm just curious what's covered in this course, and if it'll really prepare you to dive in a wreck? What are the restrictions after passing out from this course?

Thanks.

I would hope you wouldn't pass out from the course. :) :)

I

Thanks all for the very helpful info. I had much fun watching some of the videos on the links posted too, esp on Andy's page. Very informative as it gives me a glimpse into what wreck diving is like.

Think I'll do more OW dives before venturing there.

The PADI Wreck Diver Specialty has the option of 1 penetration dive. Regardless of whether or not this option is used, this class is not an overhead class and you are not trained or able to safely penetrate a wreck or any other overhead environment. The NAUI counterpart to this course is called External Wreck Survey (or something like that) and is a much better way to think of this course. If taught properly, it gives students the tools and skills to safely dive ON and AROUND a wreck. Many of my students say they really had no idea how much there is to know and how happy they were to have taken the class. Some move on to the more advanced Wreck Penetration Distinctive Specialty Course, which is a minimum of 2 open water dives and 4 wreck penetration dives.

This can't be stressed enough IMO.

I've seen so many "wreck divers" doing just this because they think the course entitles them to do full overhead environments.

I would compare the "1 penetration dive" being much akin to the "Cavern Tour" for cavern. It's done with an instructor but by no means is it part of what you will be doing until you've taken the more advanced training required for overhead.

... now that said, I've always wanted to do a full wreck penetration. It's very interesting stuff to me. The sirens call out when you get near!

Back
Top Bottom