"Painful "rash" from contact with mooring rope?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sympathies! Unfortunately, it takes quite a while and with a lot of maddenning itching in the recovering half.

I spoke to a DM 3-4 years ago (same area) that it was a bad practice (we know about the stinging stuff). What is particularly annoying is that the solution is so simple - toss out a buoyed line at the stern. Maybe I should have ranted!

In an attempt to discourage holding on to coral, many places now prohibit gloves. It, however, has always been recommended that you dive with a t-shirt even in the height of summer in the tropics, even if only as protection against jelly fish. I would suggest a long sleeved t-shirt. Should you ever be faced with the same situation again, just pull the sleeve over your hand and...... presto, glove. Just remember after the dive to keep the sleeve away from skin.

Fwiw, I have found rubbing alcohol to relieve all manner of itches, ymmv.

Update on tings:

Hands are SLOWLY improving. I've never seen such a slow-to-heal condition. The topical steroid creme seems to be helping, along with the passage of time which is easing the condition on it's own.

Friends, use gloves if you plan on touching anything below the water's surface. You'll save yourself a lot of potential problems.

Hello 3 years later!

i had the identical experience on my hand in feb 2013. It took forever to heal. The summer of 2013 and the dive trip of feb 2014 were uneventful.
The summer of 2014 became trouble. In the exact now healed burn area, any sun exposure caused a crazy skin irritation and rash reaction. Very itchy. Crazy itchy.
Now a recent trip to Mexico caused a sever flare up (non diving) just reaction and sensitivity to the sun.
My hand is a mess.
Leave you had any similar experiences?
I cannot find anyone else who knows what this was like.
So eager to hear from you

and some of those organisms can sting in self-defence when 'big fleshy monsters' seek to crush them to death.

Gonna have to steal that...

Thanks to everyone for their advice and observations. I visited the doc yesterday who prescribed a strong topical steroid (ointment). It's too soon to tell if it's effective, but we shall see.

It's been six days and, unfortunately, there hasn't been much let up in the sensitivity and pain.

Think it's time to invest in a pair of gloves for my next dive......I think I've learned my lesson!

I have never worn a pair of gloves for diving in the Caribbean. Instead, next time just pay attention to where you touch the mooring line. I normally just use a finger and my thumb and just lightly hold on. Even in heavy surf it's pretty easy if you just pay attention. But don't feel bad, I have seen lots of people just like you clamp down on the line without regard to the sealife under their palms even after I have previously warned them. Also, just an FYI, some Marine Parks won't allow you to wear gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom