Paint tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your using a marine paint, make sure it's the right stuff.. some is ment for submersion and some is ment for only above water.... When I painted PVC I used Krylon Plastic Spray paint and it held up great... The fusion paint works well too but you will have to take the shine off the PVC.

hoosier:
Thanks...

Yes, but I like a glossy coating (smooth touch feeling) on PVC. Is there anyway I can keep this feeling. It is for a goodman handle...
The sanding they are talking about is very light and is barely scratching the surface. As the paint is applied it will these small scratches and the suface will be smooth.

Why not just use the black version of PVC (or whatever it is referred to, it's not "PVC") That's what I used for my goodman handle. Glossy, and black, except where the edges were cut and sanded smooth.
gomi_

gomi_otaku:
Why not just use the black version of PVC (or whatever it is referred to, it's not "PVC") That's what I used for my goodman handle. Glossy, and black, except where the edges were cut and sanded smooth.
gomi_

Easy answer: It isn't available in my area. :huh: I checked all my local shops....

Firediver:
ABS is the other type of pipe and it's also thicker...

But, there is no various size unlike a PVC pipe.

Don't you think I checked it out yet? :wink:

I repainted two downriggers to match my two new ones with the black Fusion paint. i used a nuber 600 grit sand paper to just scuff the plastic and then painted it. You cant see any scratch marks at all. They look factory new with the coat of paint. that was two years ago and my boat is working all summer long have cannon ball banged into them net handles bumping them and there is now wear spots or chips that i can see.

Ive done alot of automotive & motorcycle painting. When painting plastic parts a adhesion promoter is used first. Basicly it makes the paint bond with the plastic. works great and ive even used it on PVC. You can buy it at a paint shop and your local Homedepot or Lowes . Good luck.

amadus98:
Ive done alot of automotive & motorcycle painting. When painting plastic parts a adhesion promoter is used first. Basicly it makes the paint bond with the plastic. works great and ive even used it on PVC. You can buy it at a paint shop and your local Homedepot or Lowes . Good luck.

The "adhesion promoter" mentioned above is the key. The commonly available promoter that I used was acetone ( did I spell that correctly?).

I built some speaker stands a while back; the pillars were 4 inch pvc. I cleaned each very thoroughly..... the acetone easily takes the print right off the pipe! After this, I had no trouble with the paint bonding. The paint I used was a paint made by Rust-Oleum specifically for plastic (spray can type).

It worked well for my application, but I'll admit, I have no idea how it would hold up for underwater use.......

Back
Top Bottom