Palace Hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mississippidiver:
As a member of Palace Resorts you get a discounted rate. I'm a Palace Premier member and my cost for 8 days/7 nights all-inclusive is $1528 for two. It also includes free roundtrip transfers to/from airport and free spa treatments and other discounts only for members. Palace Resorts is the most expensive AI on the island, but you will know where that extra money went once you have stayed there, especially if you have stayed at the other AI's on the island. Their level of service and quality of food is the best I've found on the island.
How much is it to become a member?
Do you think the discount would be applicable to a time-share trade?

I bought my membership back in 2002. At that time there were 2 levels of membership. The low level membership was something like $10,000 and the other one was maybe $20,000. The difference between the two levels of membership were the number of weeks of reduced rate you were allowed as well as the number of additional 'perks' they were throwing in to induce you to spend either $10,000 or $20,000. I bought the low-level membership and got like 20 weeks of reduced rates as well as 4 weeks for absolutely free and 4 free roundtrip airfares from the continental U.S. to the nearest airport to the resort of my choice and 2 free rounds of golf. When we sat down and put the numbers to paper and compared everything with the cost of the vacation that we had currently just paid for without the benefit of the membership and perks it was evident that it was one heck of a deal. BUT, you have to be willing to spend your vacations in Mexico as that is currently the only location of Palace Resorts. (Although they are supposedly opening one in Punta Cana DR soon...)

We had no intention of purchasing a membership and were totally ignorant of resort memberships in general until we got suckered into attending the 'free champagne breakfast' on the first morning of our vacation at Cancun Palace. It was the dreaded 'timeshare presentation' that everyone avoids like the plague. Palace Resorts was just opening up Moon Palace Resort and they were offering some really good deals to get members.

Since joining I have stayed at most of the Palace Resorts and everyone of them offer outstanding service, food and amenities. We have had absolutely no regrets with joining. But what has made it a financially feasible venture for us is the fact that we decided to start taking yearly family vacations and we all enjoy Mexico. We were also given a membership in RCI and used one of our free weeks and some of the free airfare to vacation on Isla De Margarita in Venezuela back in 2003. It was a very unique and very different environment from Mexico.

rje634:
I fully expect to be at least 10 pounds heavier on the trip home!!!
I'll feel compelled to eat my moneys worth, normally I'm not a very big drinker but I may have to develop a large drinking habit while I'm there....

Good, stick it to them! :D

The Palace Premier program is good in some ways, not so good in other ways. We found it is easier to purchase weeks from a member (I posted the Pippin's website) for a couple hundred bucks extra and use frequent flyer miles for the airfare. We then use the savings to dive with BXTS and rent a car, etc.

When we were there in May, they still offered the Chankanaab excursion. Chaza Travel allowed us to show up in the morning and get the entry bracelet, then we went on our own to Chankanaab.

We do a trip to Cozumel for a week in May or June and stay at Cozumel Palace. Then we try to do a four night trip staying at a standard hotel in December. We get the best of both worlds that way.

OSU,

EXACTLY....

I do the same thing. About a month ago hotwire.com was offering 8days/7nights including roundtrip air at a variety of non-inclusive and a couple all-inclusive resorts(El Coz and FA) for around $426 to under $650 for sometimes in either September or October. What a deal!!! That is less than I paid for just may roundtrip airfare for my August 23/30 trip to Cozumel Palace. That way I can keep my weeks at Palace Resorts and take another trip without the family in tow just to go diving with the dive buddies...

rje634:
Bora Bora, Cozumel Palace, you're setting quite a precedence for the anniversary :D

Well, I never really took many vacations until I met my wife, so I probably did not plan them in the most economical way. I am starting to learn that there are better places to find vacation deals rather than just doing it on your own. Motel 6 for her next year.:D

liuk3:
....Motel 6 for her next year.:D
Good Luck Selling That to Her!!!

Mississippidiver:
Thanks for the info, we already own 2 timeshares (trying to sell our Fort Lauderdale, Any Takers??) so getting into another vacation "Membership" is not an option for us right now.

i called Pippin's and have not heard back as of yet. the price difference is about $200 total for two. if i don't hear by tomorrow, we will just book directly with the palace and dive with bxts.

Back
Top Bottom