Palau or Philipines? Been to Solomons and wonder if anything could beat that?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having been to the Solomons, I can assure you there are other places as good or better, however it is not an apples to apples comparison. Had lots of awesome experiences on the Bilikiki including Mary Island volcano, but being amongst the islands it was bloody hot despite being on the boat. :) The war sites and all that are very cool for the Solomons so that is something special it has that not many other places do.

Trying to choose between a one island nation and a nation with 7000 islands….that's a tough one. Maybe narrow down your choices in the Philippines. It has a big variation.

Ha! Shasta Man, the Solomons were crazy hot. I was actually do some medical work there. I'd be seeing patients in the villages and asking, "What can I do for you?" and they'd be looking at me sweating cartoonishly into the towel under my face and say, "Ummmm, are YOU all right?" I'll research Bilikiki. I've been researching all the places people are mentioning on this thread so I'm grateful for the specifics everyone!

I should clarify what I liked about Solomons that was different from my closer dive sites. The sheer volume (biomass?) of fish was unlike anything I'd ever seen. Everytime I slipped in the water I was surrounded by multiple shark species and swarms of other fish, even when just snorkeling off the dock. (And there was NO shark feeding.) The coral was super dense and colorful, huge fans and plates (?). psychedelic giant clams. Also smaller delicate corals and anemone, endless clownfish, frogfish, scorpionfish, crocodile fish. Nudi's and octopus everywhere. Not nearly enough cuttlefish though! And of course the wrecks were crazy cool. And then there was the insane bioluminescence at night. Looking at the water at night was like looking at the stars. I saw glowing fish and shark outlines as they swam around!

I love my "local sites" (central america and kona mainly, 5-7 hours away) and I've had some of my favorite underwater moments in those places. Like just hovering in the blue in Kona listening to loud whale songs that rumbled in my chest and having an eagle ray swim right up and hang with us, Mantas galore, the total ease and loveliness of Roatan... but Solomons was next level.

So, if I'm going that far again (it took days each way to get to the Solomons) I'm looking for that next level diving but maybe not a total repeat of the Solomons. Hope that make sense!

Thanks for the report! Going to do the Bilikiki followed by a week at Uepi next year. Not that I'm wishing a year away but we are so excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What op are you using for Bilikiki my Canadian brother? You will loooooove Uepi! Say hi to Jill for me. (She probably won't know who I am but what the hell.)

We did land based in both Palau and the Phillipines. Both were amazing trips and very different! I have to say our trip to Palau staying at PPR was fabulous!!!! I would vote for that route!!! HAVE FUN!

Whaleshark, Mola Mola, Mandarin fish and Leafy Sea Dragon? You probably have to travel to four different places.
I tried land based operator once(Sam Tours) in Palau, no thank you. The boat ride was too long and uncomfortable!!! 12 divers + 40 tanks for three dives! It was a long trip everyday!!
Liveaboard is much more civilized but cost a lot more.
UA has flight between Manila and Koror.
Malapascua(Mandarin fish) and Oslob(whaleshark albeit circus style). Frequent daily flight connection between Manila and Cebu. Getting to Malapascua from Cebu is expensive but public bus/boat is available as long as you arrive at Maya Pier well before noon.

Ugh, I now realize Bilikiki is the boat, not a place. I tried to delete that dumb post but... alas.

I thought you asked who I booked with, odd as that question was! This is the first trip in years I used a travel agent. Uepi uses agents mostly and with all the flights BNE-HIR-EGM-HIR-BNE, I decided to book with the top agent listed on Uepi's site, Dive Adventures.

Ok it wasn't your question but there you go. Will be our first ever LOB & 24hr flight- just to get to Brisbane, staying there for 3 days then to the Solomon's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yeah, from the West coast it was San Francisco to LA to Brisbane, overnight in Brisbane, then Brisbane to Honaira to Seghe then a boat to Uepi. So, 4 planes and a boat each way. Totally worth it. And that is why I'm getting feedback because it would be such a bummer to do all that and just have an OK experience! I definitely used an agent, there was no way I could have worked all that out myself at a decent price.

On my layover in Brisbane on the way back I went to a weird little preserve in town where kangaroos are just roaming around everywhere, you can hold a Koala, Dingos are walking around (on leashes), and the coocabaras (sp?) make an awesome racket. I don't usually like zoos but this was actually sort of cool. I forget the name though.

Back
Top Bottom